RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? Can you load lite .38 Special loads in .357 Magnum brass for use in the lever?

Oh, and light loads in pistol cases cannot "detonate". Nor in rifle cases, either. Smokeless powder isn't shock-sensitive.

What DOES cause trouble is that light loads are prime candidates for double-charging, since they almost never fill the case enough to make a double charge obvious.

A sound .357 rifle won't be distressed by a double charge of that load I just posted, btw. Pressure calculates as within spec for a +P .357 load.

=
    Cognitive Dissident

This is timely.... shooting comps at Bisley (UK) this weekend and a fellow squad member tells me he shoots 158 grn TC casts from a micro groove Marlin with 2.8 grns Bullseye (.357 cases)... Freestanding obliterates the 1.25 inch X-Ring at 25 metres .... couldn’t believe what I was seeing...?
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master
    I load the 358429 with 3.5 gr red dot in .38spl. case. it works slick in my rossi 92 and a friends 94.

One of the first times I shot a cowboy shoot, I saw a shooter fast cycling a Marlin 357 and I thought he was shooting a 22. It sure seems these shooters are using suggested starting loads and working there way down. For their purposes, they want minimal recoil for fast action recovery. If your not cowboy action shooting, I don’t believe anyone complains about recoil with a standard 38 special load (in .357 cases) out of a rifle. With at least 900 FPS out of a rifle, you simply aim at the top of a target at 100 yards to hit it if your gun is sighted in at 25-50 yards.

Boolit Master
    My main target load in my Rossi is a 150 grain hollow point over 6.3 grains Unique. In .357 brass, of course.

Boolit Master

Sorta,

To move a .38spl light load to a .357mag case, I simply
    load .5grs to 1.0grs of Bullseye or TiteGroup more in the longer case.

When my Kids were Cowboy Action Shooting with me. We loaded .38spl cases.
    Now that they are no longer around to shoot with DAD,
    I use .357mag cases with a TiteGroup charge straight out of the old HODGDON Cowboy Reloading Handout.
    For .38spl - 3.2grs to 3.8grs. TiteGroup
    For .357mag - 3.5grs to 5.0grs. TiteGroup

And no extra elbow grease to scrub out crud from .357mag chambers.

My MARLIN 1894CS will feed anything except the #358429 loaded in Magnum cases. It's Micro-groove rifling likes harder bullets, #2 or Linotype.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I thank each and everyone for your Bullet recipes and your input on this!

I just didn't want any cases going to Boom from pressure build up with little powder in them.

Super Moderator

..............I really enjoy shooting light(er) loads in my 357 Rossi M92 Short Rifle.

I use a Lee 6 cav for their Tumble Lube wadcutter. Cast up a gallon can of'em and you're set for a couple years Well, YOU might not be, but I am! Heck during the late "22 Rimfire" unpleasantness I was shooting for a lot less then the rimfire cost by a long shot

The Rossi (mine anyway) has no problem feeding and chambering the rounds.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    I gotta get healthy and heal up, I miss blasting around with my 357 Magnum levergun. I waited 4+ years for Remlin to re-release their 1894 variants in 357, and lost patience with them after missing a Winchester/Miroku 1892 locally in June 2016 by about a week. I ordered and bought a Henry Big Boy/steel receiver, and it is a honey. A few of its features are not "Levergun-traditional", like the rubber buttplate and 22 LR-like tubular magazine. But I can live with that, because the mechanism feeds wonderfully and the accuracy is pretty darn good. I am probably 850-900 rounds in (so far), and it is a fun rifle. I meant to give it a day afield this year during deer season, but that won't happen this year. Drat the luck.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.