Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Want to make a small game load for my K31.

Boolit Buddy

Want to make a small game load for my K31.

It would be easier to shoot squirrels with my old Winchester 22 but I almost never leave the house without my trusty K31 so I want to make a small game load for it.

I want it to be as quiet as possible.
    Plain base & pointy boolit to make casting easier & save meat.
    And then I need it to shoot as close to my GP11 zero as possible at close range.

I figure its gonna be pretty dang hard to do all this, at least the shooting to the sights part. I have everything besides a mold, been looking for a pointy plain based 30 cal mold to no avail. If you have something that might work, Pm me! I have a wtb add up.

So has anyone out there got a nice light load for your K31?

I searched all over & most cast data I've found for the K31 seem to be way more powerful than I need. Thank you for any help!
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

I'm not sure about how a pointy bullet is going to save meat on small game. My experience has been the opposite... That being said if pointy and plain base is what you want more power to you. I think that one of the considerations may be taking an existing mold of a bullet style you like, removing the sprue plate, machining or filing the top down until you get close to the desired weight (and are now plain base instead of gas checked) then re-taping the holes for the sprue plate and mounting it back on. I've seen it done for other calibers and sometimes it works out very well.

anyway interesting idea, good luck, and let us know what you figure out!

EDITED TO ADD: Oh and for reduced loads read up on a few of the articles on working up reduced loads using IMR Trail Boss Powder. Should be just about the ticket for what you are working on I would think!

God Bless, and One Love!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Don't have a specific load for a K31 but, once upon a time, I played around developing some 'trainer loads' for both the 30-40 Krag and the .30-30 Win using GC-design boolits w/o checks. As I recall, 5.5 gr. of 700X under a Lyman 311466 (152 gr.) generated around 1000 fps and quarter-size groups at 50'.

Also, have you considered trying a round-ball load...a .310 round ball thumb-pressed into the case neck over a light charge of shotgun powder? There have been several threads on this in the past.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

My small game loads for the 30/30, 30/40, 308 and 30/06 and 7.5 Swiss generally use a 110 grain (RCBS 30-110-RN) cast boolit or any of the cast 32/20 design boolits over a small charge of Bullseye. My son also did much of his shooting in his youth shooting these reduced loads.

Try:

110 to 115 grain cast (PB or GC) sized to .309" or .310" for the K31.
    6.0 grains of Bullseye. No filler needed
    Any LR or LP primer will do, but test to find the most accurate

Velocity will be between 1,200 and 1,300 depending on your rifle and cartridge. Surprisingly, these loads will hold well on 10" steel gongs at 200 yards.

To prevent shrinkage of your cases, drill your flash holes out a bit to help equalize primer pocket pressure with the lower chamber pressure of squib loads. Segregate these cases and keep them just for your reduced loads.

Regarding your zero, you'll find that they shoot low compared to your standard zero, but the rear sight on the K31 is more than capable of handling that. I set my K31 sight to 400 meters for a 50 yard zero. I use similar setting for Krags, 1903 Springfields.

I've been shooting vermin, rabbits and squirrels for over 40 years with these loads with great results.

Here is the small game load from my K31 at 50 yards. 5 and 10 shot groups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swiss K31 01-800.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    My small game loads for the 30/30, 30/40, 308 and 30/06 and 7.5 Swiss generally use a 110 grain (RCBS 30-110-RN) cast boolit or any of the cast 32/20 design boolits over a small charge of Bullseye. My son also did much of his shooting in his youth shooting these reduced loads.

Try:

110 to 115 grain cast (PB or GC) sized to .309" or .310" for the K31.
    6.0 grains of Bullseye. No filler needed
    Any LR or LP primer will do, but test to find the most accurate

Velocity will be between 1,200 and 1,300 depending on your rifle and cartridge. Surprisingly, these loads will hold well on 10" steel gongs at 200 yards.

To prevent shrinkage of your cases, drill your flash holes out a bit to help equalize primer pocket pressure with the lower chamber pressure of squib loads. Segregate these cases and keep them just for your reduced loads.

Regarding your zero, you'll find that they shoot low compared to your standard zero, but the rear sight on the K31 is more than capable of handling that. I set my K31 sight to 400 meters for a 50 yard zero. I use similar setting for Krags, 1903 Springfields.

I've been shooting vermin, rabbits and squirrels for over 40 years with these loads with great results.

Here is the small game load from my K31 at 50 yards. 5 and 10 shot groups.
    Thats exactly what I was looking for man, thanks!

I didn't think a little load like that would go 200m, at least not accurately. Great!

Yes I suppose I misspoke when I said hold my GP11 battle zero. I can slide my leaf up no problem, only the windage needs to have the same poi.

I'm glad to see your targets there. I had heard the Swiss rifles don't shoot light bullets good but yours looks otherwise.

Thanks again! I figured it was possible, I just been looking for a report of someone actually doing it.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you read this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

It starts with "1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent." which is just what you are looking for.

Lots of good info there.

Longbow

Banned

308 loads work just fine in the 7.5 swiss case.

If you are wanting light loads as in mouse fart try seaching for the thread posted by Larry Gibson. He worked up several loads for 30 Calibers among others. It is a good place to start.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Addendum to Post #4:

I should have also added that with 32/20 boolits sized to .312" I do not need to size the necks at all. I just deprime, prime, charge and then bell the neck slightly and then seat the boolit with my seating die and use a light crimp. While they probably wouldn't stand rapid manipulation of the bolt, they do well either single loaded or gently fed from the magazine and accuracy is just fine. Of course the thickness of your brass in the neck area will determine your final sizing diameter of the boolits; but it should be achievable in most K31s. I use both Privi Partisan brass as well as brass made in Portugal by FNM.

Good luck with your K31!

Makes loading for the Swiss "watch" pretty easy.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Hoo boy are you in luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K31 50 yd group.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	180111 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEI 308145 group.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	180112

Same bullet with about 7.0 grs. of Red Dot works equally as well.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

When I had mine it did very well with the Lee 155 and 5-6 gr of bullseye or W231 it wasn't picky on what load it was fed . Easy minute of squirrel accuracy
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    700x and the Lee 311-93(round nose) works well in most of my 30 caliber guns including my K31

Boolit Buddy
    Mine shoots to one side with light loads. Not a problem with a scope.13 grains of trail boss gives 1300fps with a lee 180 grain bullet. 15 grains is really consistent at about 1430fps. Above 16 grains velocity levels off to about 1500fps (which is weird) and consistency reduces.For more velocity, 5744 with a 180 grain lee bullet: 20 grains gives 1555fps while 24 grains gives 1830.With a lee 200 grain bullet: 24 grains gives 1740fps and 26 gives 1870fps.All these loads will be a lot louder than the fast pistol powder ones previously mentioned.BB

Boolit Buddy
    Welp NOE is having a 20% off sale so I finally snapped & ordered the two hole K31 specific mould in brass, plainbase.

Its heavier than I really wanted but being just for the little K31 throat, I didn't want to fit this project too much.

I'm thinking about 7gr of Bullseye as I have lots of that laying around. If they work well, I have a suppressed K31 with a Hammerli match sight to dial in the load. Should be hollywood quiet!

Try a .310" round ball over 4 grs Bullseye. Tumble lube and size .309" if needed. My 30-30 squirrel load for years. I single load them in my 94 Win. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Buddy

Want to make a small game load for my K31.

Worked this up in 2009. Runs about 1250fp

Rifle must be scoped as it shoots too far to the right otherwise. 130gr RCBS bullet, 9gr trail boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VintageRifle; 12-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.