RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: USPS Rate Increase: January 17, 2016

Moderator Emeritus

USPS Rate Increase: January 17, 2016

As many Swappin' & Selling users employ USPS to deliver their treasures, it seems both appropriate and germane to note here that, Effective January 17, 2016, USPS shipping rates will be increasing an average of 9.5%. The January increase does not impact letters, First-Class flats and cards.

But, it will impact pretty much all else.

FP Mailing solutions has a summary at http://www.fp-usa.com/ratechange/jan...rate-increase/

And, of course, right from the USPS web-site at https://about.usps.com/news/national...5/pr15_056.htm

Great/best Holiday wishes to all the great guys and guyettes on this site! Merry Christmas!
    geo

Well thats great to know thanks!
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Banned

Wow. The regional boxes went up a lot

Boolit Master
    I wonder why? Fuel is at a ten year low?

Every chance I get I grab a few extra boxes at the P.O. I am waiting for the day that they announce that they are going to charge for their "free" packing materials... if you calculate the "cost" of the free boxes it takes a bit of the sting away.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Buddy
    They should put the boxes where you either have to buy the postage first or at least ask for the boxes. I know the over head on all the boxes that just walk out w/o being used for mailing surely is atrocious.

THANKS FOR THAT HEADS UP!!!QUITE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!!! Don

You can order the boxes etc online by the thousands if you want to take the time, all free. I only use the small and medium flat rates so those are the ones I grab. I use them all the time. It would make more sense to keep them behind the counter for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    They should put the boxes where you either have to buy the postage first or at least ask for the boxes. I know the over head on all the boxes that just walk out w/o being used for mailing surely is atrocious.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The PO's in my area, keep all free boxes and envelopes in the front of the PO. It is very easy for anyone to reach them, even small children and those with handicaps of some sort. If a slot is empty, just ask and the clerks will fill it for you. Later David
    PS The PO is the only self supporting Government agency we have. To be able to send a letter from the Maine border with Canada to the southern border of California with Mexico for less than 50 cents is a bargain.
    I do wish that they would raise the fee to the projected cost for at least 5 years so that they could work in the black instead of the red all the time.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

So no more commercial base pricing. Bummer.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Did I read that summary correctly?? No more flat rate shipping?? If so, that's a REAL bummer. Better get that lead sold and shipped before the 17th!

Seems I was confused, looks like flat rate is still there, just a bit more expensive.

No more flat rate express. Flat rate looks like it just goes up in cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Did I read that summary correctly?? No more flat rate shipping?? If so, that's a REAL bummer. Better get that lead sold and shipped before the 17th!

Seems I was confused, looks like flat rate is still there, just a bit more expensive.
    "If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped using then a long time ago. Fed Ex ground is cheaper!

This is sad as it will make it even harder for someone to start a small business. Anyone who does, would be even less competitive based on the shipping discounts going away. I guess it really does take money, to make money!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

I hate to see the price go up on anything but I still see shipping as cheap. I live out in the country and I am a 20 minute drive from everywhere. I drive 45 minutes to work every day and am almost an hour from the closest gun shop that stocks reloading supplies.
    So I am looking at $10-15 gas to pretty much drive anywhere.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Yep, all flat rate boxes/envelope up about 80˘ each.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Padded envelope will now be the same price as small flat rate box. If you haven't tried the padded envelopes, I recommend them, especially now that the small box will not be cheaper.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Master

It should have been expected; with an election year coming up, the government moving funds from the USPS to fund "other" projects.............Oh yeah.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

The thing is the USPS is making hand over fist, they have to put $5 BILLION in to the future pension fund.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    I stopped using then a long time ago. Fed Ex ground is cheaper!
    Only when you have a FedEx location. Lots of places have only a FedEx drop box. The FedEx drop boxes, both the closest town to me and the County Seat won't accept boxes even as large as the MFRB if it isn't the flat type box. And the closest actual storefront (not a location owned by FedEx) is 30 miles away.

That being said, if the USPS won't take it I'll opt for FedEx over UPS.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member