Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thieves and liars and bums..................oh my!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I UN-like many others, reload 22LR's with black powder. Less than 15 minutes for a box of 50 at cost of $2.70 excluding dies. Is $0.054 per round. Most expensive cost is Swiss Null-B at $22 per lb

Could you expand on how you do the reloading of the 22lr?

Boolit Master
    I would like to know also.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

John Boy, is that how you reload 22s? Like in the video above?

putting little itty bitty .223 55 gr. projectiles into bottle neck cartridges is enough of a PITA for me that I don't need to cut match heads etc. for a 50% failure rate. At that point I would totally switch to AIR powered which despite a weird recoil feel can be the equal to a 22 LR in most circumstances. Oh that and I have a bunch of .22 LR that I was just noticing the price stickers on worked out to less than 3 cents a round and that was on the small boxes, the bulk packs were cheaper than those.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I liquidated anything 22lr. I'm immune from the 22lr hysteria. If I can't easily cast & load it I don't want it. It still surprises me what lengths folks go for it.

I walked in to a lgs asked the lady behind the counter "what's new?" She says we just ran out of 22lr. I informed her that's ok with me, wouldn't buy it if they had it.

I can cast and load 1k 9mm for less than I've seen 500 pcs of 22lr go for this year. Pure sillyness.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    I liquidated anything 22lr. I'm immune from the 22lr hysteria..........I can cast and load 1k 9mm for less than I've seen 500 pcs of 22lr go for this year. Pure sillyness.
    Probably only if you work for free. I shoot better scores with my .22 than I do with my 9mm. Me, I would rather spend my time shooting than casting and reloading. I cast and reload so I can shoot not shoot to create empties to reload. I was thinking about buying some cast bullets so cut down on the amount of time I have to spend casting. If I could buy ammo better than my reloads I would buy them and quit reloading.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    John Boy, is that how you reload 22s? Like in the video above?
    The match head method - NO! Never in a 100 years!
    This is my 1st Loading Interation which I have since modified:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132172-22LR-Black-Powder-Reloads-How-to-Make-Them&p=1450351&viewfull=1#post1450351

Current Method:
    * Case mouth belled with Lee Universal Expander
    * Win 209 primer tray - put 50 spaced cases in under Lyman #5 powder charger = 4.5gr Swiss Null-B powder only used
    Powder Test for Accuracy ...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2082135
    * Seat bullets in CH4D bullet seater
    * Then factory hard crimp - bullet nose down in Lyman H&I Lube Sizer

* Package in inverted empty 22LR box with a scanned label of the old UMC Match Bullet
    ...label misprint, bullets are 42gr. And for use in 22LR lever action, length adjusted to 0.980 COL

... 1030 fps average with 4.2gr Swiss Null-B shot with no patching or tubing in a 1884 JM Marlin Ballard - globed Swiss diopter front and vernier rear

There are 3 of us in the US that load these BP 22LR reloads: Baha Travler in CA - w44wcf in PA and me in NJ
    Last edited by John Boy; 11-24-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Regards
    John

So John Boy I see in your other tutorial you use -

Cases: Empty Primed ArmsCor Cases purchased from the Hunting Shack
    - no longer available

And have stated you don't prime your cases

The match head method - NO! Never in a 100 years!

So what would suggest for primed cases or repriming cases?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Probably only if you work for free. I shoot better scores with my .22 than I do with my 9mm. Me, I would rather spend my time shooting than casting and reloading. I cast and reload so I can shoot not shoot to create empties to reload. I was thinking about buying some cast bullets so cut down on the amount of time I have to spend casting. If I could buy ammo better than my reloads I would buy them and quit reloading.

Tim
    Work? Casting, reloading, & shooting are my hobbies. I enjoy doing them all. I set up my system for doing it to be productive and as comfortable for myself as possible. Buy cast bullets, lol no not me. To each his own.
    You can have custom loadings made to your spec from numerous small ammo makers. If you don't enjoy doing it you don't have to.
    What I did not enjoy are the days of driving around to find the ammo needed to go shooting. Sitting in my house making it is most enjoyable to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Work? Casting, reloading, & shooting are my hobbies. I enjoy doing them all. I set up my system for doing it to be productive and as comfortable for myself as possible. Buy cast bullets, lol no not me. To each his own.
    You can have custom loadings made to your spec from numerous small ammo makers. If you don't enjoy doing it you don't have to.
    What I did not enjoy are the days of driving around to find the ammo needed to go shooting. Sitting in my house making it is most enjoyable to me.
    I know that some people enjoy reloading and that is good for them. I am happy to know that I can make my own ammo if I need to, including casting my own bullets. I still do it a lot but I am going to be shooting more factory ammo in the future and .22LR is still the least expensive. I can't imagine getting someone to reload for my bench rest rifles, I will still have to do that myself but I still do it in my shop not at the range.

I would much rather read a book than reload ammo. Reloading is a tedious repetitive task that needs a lot of attention to detail and avoidance of distraction, same with casting. I am proud I can do it and do it well but I don't consider it fun. The best thing about reloading and casting for me is the sense of accomplishment. I don't see how people who reload on a progressive press could call that fun. Setting one up to get it to run right and then pulling the handle a thousand times, fun? To each his own.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I know that some people enjoy reloading and that is good for them. I am happy to know that I can make my own ammo if I need to, including casting my own bullets. I still do it a lot but I am going to be shooting more factory ammo in the future and .22LR is still the least expensive. I can't imagine getting someone to reload for my bench rest rifles, I will still have to do that myself but I still do it in my shop not at the range.

I would much rather read a book than reload ammo. Reloading is a tedious repetitive task that needs a lot of attention to detail and avoidance of distraction, same with casting. I am proud I can do it and do it well but I don't consider it fun. The best thing about reloading and casting for me is the sense of accomplishment. I don't see how people who reload on a progressive press could call that fun. Setting one up to get it to run right and then pulling the handle a thousand times, fun? To each his own.

Tim
    Exactly!

Sorry for the interruption, now back to the regularly scheduled complaining about 22lr availability & unscrupulous resellers thread. Good day.

Boolit Master
    Simple file them in the trash ,reload any center fire and be happy that you are not in the line Sat day morning hoping you get lucky to pay too much for so little!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    So what would suggest for primed cases or repriming cases?
    Only 3 options I believe:
    * Pull heads off smokeless
    * Match heads
    * ArmsCor will sell you primed empty cases ... has to be a $50,000.00 order they told me
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I got this on 16 Nov from Ammoland on reloading 22lr. It's a good basic description of what is going on and how to do it. The local scrap yard has a giant bin as I posted in a different thread of brass with a ton of 22lr.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/11/relo...#axzz3sdBqqlOv
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum