Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR SR4759 worth getting?

4759 shoots very accurate in my 35 whelen. I did wind up using a dacron filler for best accuracy, but it was well worth the extra step.

Lol i had worked up several loads from 1600 to 2200 fps., then got word it was discontinued.
    I still buy it when i can find it. Hope they bring it back into production one day.

Boolit Buddy

5 total. Picked one up earlier and not with this group.
    Last edited by VintageRifle; 12-15-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Last Saturday morning, I found two 8 oz cans of IMR SR 4759 at the gun show in Albuquerque. The guy sold them both to me for $30. I intend to find out if it is really better than all other powders for cast bullets in my .45-70. I believe that IMR 5744 is supposed to be the "replacement" powder for 4759.

4759 was developed for the military to use in reduced loads with frangible bullets in the 30-06 round. These rounds were used mainly for aerial gun practice, where the bullets were supposed to break up on the skin of an airplane is they were hit. They didn't always break up.

At any rate the powder was good for this purpose because of it's burning rate and bulk. Because of this, it was the "go to" cast bullet powder for several generations and is still one of the best. It is not "the best", but neither is there any powder that is demonstrably better.

I am still working on several original Dupont "kegs". It is very good stuff for cast bullet applications in medium to large capacity rifle rounds. It has also been used in large capacity revolver cartridges with good results accuracy wise.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.