Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Rifle Vs Scope

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Nothing wrong with Leupold scopes, just don't have/see the Money to spend on them. I also don't drive a pricy vehicle, but I also haven't had a bank loan on a car since 1972 either.

I'm going to stick with stringers as well.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doggonekid View Post
    I must be the only Leupold nut out here. My two scopes are both Leupold EFR scopes rated for air rifles. I have always said spend as much on your scope as you do on your gun. With air rifles cost blasted past $700 for a good PCP now days I go with Leupold. Never had any trouble with springers (Beeman R1) to PCP (Air Arms S410).
    I prefer the Leupold EFR scopes on springers also, especially those of 15+ ft lbs of energy I've several broken air rifle rated scopes of various makes that did not hold up under the recoil of RWS M48s and my RWS M54. The Leupold ERF 3x9 and 6.5x20 have held up on every springer.

Larry Gibson

[QUOTE=Doggonekid;3379383]I must be the only Leupold nut out here. My two scopes are both Leupold EFR scopes rated for air rifles. I have always said spend as much on your scope as you do on your gun. With air rifles cost blasted past $700 for a good PCP now days I go with Leupold. Never had any trouble with springers (Beeman R1) to PCP (Air Arms S410).[/QUOyour not alone i use a vxii 2x7 leupold on my diana48 has been perfect for the last 2.5 yrs it sits in lynx brand air gun rings i shoot pigeons and squirrels of a power pole at a lazer measured 68 yds ,i tried a leo VX1 but it would not handle the recoil so back to the 2x7 i went. also leupold says all there scopes are rated for airgun use

Banned
    that is why you need 2 piece mounts

Perma-Banned
    I bought a leapers Utg 4-16 scope and have nothing but good to say about it, if I had one complaint it's that the crosshairs are a little on the bold side for my liking, I wish it had super fine duplex, My crossman nitro venom dusk is a nitro piston gun so I don't know about a springer? The leapers get mixed reviews but mostly good, usually the bad reviews are guys that are spending a whole lot more money!

Boolit Mold

I'm very knew to the airgun scene, and just starting research. It appears from this thread, that I should not do something I was planning to do... use optics from my regular firearms on an airgun? I'm sure I will show my ignorance, but why would a scope designed to withstand the recoil from a firearm not be able to withstand the recoil of an airgun. My layman logic tells me if it can handle any firearm, it should be able to handle all airguns, based on thinking an airgun has so much less physical recoil than a traditional firearm?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck26287 View Post
    I'm very knew to the airgun scene, and just starting research. It appears from this thread, that I should not do something I was planning to do... use optics from my regular firearms on an airgun? I'm sure I will show my ignorance, but why would a scope designed to withstand the recoil from a firearm not be able to withstand the recoil of an airgun. My layman logic tells me if it can handle any firearm, it should be able to handle all airguns, based on thinking an airgun has so much less physical recoil than a traditional firearm?
    It is unique to the spring piston air rifles that they have a double recoil action that will destroy the best of normal scopes. Heavy kicking powder burners will give more jolt that's for sure but it is in one direction.
    With the nature of springers you have the first jolt of piston being released, then having to bounce back from the compressed air cushion created resulting in a double recoil. That makes for some serious shocks and stresses put through the entire gun and attachments including the shooter.
    Top quality mounts and a springer rated scope are a must with a springer if you want some long term good results. Shooting technique is whole new learning curve too.

If you go with a standard scope, chances are it wont last long. My Diana 34 destroyed one Nikko Stirling Mount-Master so called springer rated scope. Running with a Hawke now.....so far so good touch wood. However that had teething problems too getting mounts that could hang on. Sportsmatch single piece have been proving well. This gun is detuned to 12ftlb by the way so it is rather docile to shoot.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by LtFrankDrebbin View Post
    It is unique to the spring piston air rifles that they have a double recoil action that will destroy the best of normal scopes. Heavy kicking powder burners will give more jolt that's for sure but it is in one direction.
    With the nature of springers you have the first jolt of piston being released, then having to bounce back from the compressed air cushion created resulting in a double recoil. That makes for some serious shocks and stresses put through the entire gun and attachments including the shooter.
    Top quality mounts and a springer rated scope are a must with a springer if you want some long term good results. Shooting technique is whole new learning curve too.
    Thanks, LT, that gets me just a little higher on the learning curve around here. Makes sense, but for whatever reason, I had never thought about it. I appreciate the help!

I guess I was just lucky when I chose a scope for my R-1 back in the '80s. I put a tasco 4x12 w/target turrets on it and it has held up to 34 years of recoiling. It was made in the good old days when Tasco's were made in Japan.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    I love everything about my Bugbuster scope except the weight. On my springer, I have yet to find a way to get the scope to stay put. All else equal, lighter is better for a spring gun.
    If the mounts are slipping try adding an extra mount, sometimes that works. The recommended?? way to fix that is a one piece mount, lot of clamping area.