MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle Vs Scope

Air Rifle Vs Scope

Ok, I have read a lot of thing said about Springer Air Rifles and scopes. I am in the market for a scope for my new Springer. I would like to read about what other have found out.

Some companies tell you their scopes are ok on a Springer but most do not. I was looking at a $70.00 Center Point that has that rating but $200.+ name brands that don’t. What have You learn about this? Thanks

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    its been a long time since I had a springer and what I can tell you is back then if the scope was not rated it DID NOT hold up.
    a little article http://www.lasc.us/rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm
    There are several companies offering airgun/springer safe scopes. I have become a fan of Hawke air rifle scopes. I also have a UTG/Leapers bug buster that has proven itself decent. Holds zero and to date I have had zero issues. I have it dialed in for 25 yards and have learned the hold overs on the "mil dot" reticle it sports. It matter not the price really you can buy aa 49$ scope from walmart that will not "break" under a springer but might suck for all other optic needs?

I have no experience with this vendor but they come up often in my searches for air gun optics ? http://www.topairgun.com/1-inch-airgun-scopes

I have a BSA 3-12 airgun scope on my RWS 52. So far it has held up well. Have had it for at least 10 years now.

the cp 3-9 at Walmart has held up fine for me on springers.Also the cheaper Hawke airguns scopes have done good for me.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have a BSA 3-12x44 airgun scope on my RWS 460 Magnum. So far it has held up well. Have had it for at least 12 years now. Yeah, I copied and pasted dkf's post and edited it for my situation.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I'll watch for the royalties check every quarter.

Mine is a 3-12X50 which I think they only offered for a short time.

I have two scopes that were (or at least stated that) they were built for spring air rifles. Never had a problem with either. I also put a couple of others that were not marked as being made for air rifles and had the crosshairs floating after about 50 shots. That being said, I have had good results going the other way - made for an air rifle and used on a firearm.

Boolit Master
    I use a springer rated for my AR and my old AK. The bolt slamming forward is similar to an AG in that there is two recoil impulses. I have a CenterPoint 4x16x40 from Wallyworld and it is holding up fine on my Hatsan Torpedo.

You can get a CP at Walmart, and if you have a problem they will take it no questions asked.

They do the same for the Tasco scopes they carry but the CP scopes will be fewer trips back.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have a Hammers 3/9 X 32 air gun scope on my Ruger Air hawk. Remember to get not only a scope to handle the 2 way recoil but also focus down to 10 yds. or less. My Hammers goes all the way down to 5 yds.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Hawke , nothing but Hawke !

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
    Hawke , nothing but Hawke !
    Its a buyers market!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with Hawke scopes on PCPs as well as a new springer, they wouldn't be around if not for airguns.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a UTC Bug-Buster on a springer for several years. Very small scope and the focusing optics are especially useful for close stuff like in a garage when too cold or hot to use outside. They are very nice and cheap and hold up well. I have over 5000 shots on mine.

A Center Point 3-9 came with the Crosman Nitro Venom I gave my grandson, it's held up okay, but is a bugger to zero. For my RWS 34 I went all out and got a Accushot, (UTG?) 30mm, 1-8 with the etched retical. No troubles at all. I think a modest priced Hawk will be my next one for the Hatsan 95 Vortex.

Thanks to all with the info!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    These are all pretty much spring-gun rated (unless they say "22" or "rimfire" in the name)
    Hawke
    UTG/Leapers
    Centerpoint

Bushnell are only rated for springer if they include XLR or somesuch in the name, from what I have read.
    Anything else, and you might have to call the company and comfirm.

I would definitely recommend AO for an airgun scope. Most rifle scopes are set for 100 yard parallax, and the average air rifle will see most of its shooting at very small targets at under 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    I have used a UTC Bug-Buster on a springer for several years. Very small scope and the focusing optics are especially useful for close stuff like in a garage when too cold or hot to use outside. They are very nice and cheap and hold up well. I have over 5000 shots on mine.
    I love everything about my Bugbuster scope except the weight. On my springer, I have yet to find a way to get the scope to stay put. All else equal, lighter is better for a spring gun.

Boolit Buddy
    gloob: Never thought they were heavy. I use the Leapers offset airgun mount and have no slipping trouble. It's on this page:

http://leapers.com/listproduct.php?m...vcurrent=mount

I actually use one on a pump also, but there is no recoil problem there.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I have already seen that. Unfortunately the eye relief won't work on my rifle using that with the position of the scope stop. And the scope wont fit my standard one piece mount.

Compared to my centerpoint , the bug buster is definitely a bit hefty.