MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Hot and Humid to Cast

Boolit Grand Master

Here's an easy chart to read to see where the human body is most comfortable

I hate the psychometric chart but it contains a lot of information. Once the dew point is above 70 it's downright oppressive. Nowhere for the sweat to evaporate because the air is already saturated. You need a consistent breeze or a fan to stay somewhat comfortable. Dewpoint is already 68 this morning. Calling for a high of 95 and the humidity is currently at 94%. Can't wait to work on a roof all day

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hang Fire - only 111?

We have a place south of Tucson where we winter. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard . . "But it's a dry heat!" LOL

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast when I can, but have to concur that there is darned little enjoyment in sitting on the stool with the back of your shirt wringing wet with sweat. My personal best (worst?) is 8 1/2 pounds of 429-421's in 97 degree, moist conditions. I cast for an hour and then had to give up.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Hang Fire - only 111?

We have a place south of Tucson where we winter. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard . . "But it's a dry heat!" LOL
    So is a pizza oven!
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    You mean it's not normal to work outside in the 90s to the point your shirt is soaked and the sweat is dribbling off the edges onto the ground?

Wimps!

I did cast some Minies early the other evening about 7ish. Think it had dropped to about 90 by then. Lots of sweating but it's not going to stop me from trying out a new mould. I actually have more problems these days at lower temperatures. Either my hands are too cold and hurt or the gloves needed for warmth are too thick. Rather just sweat, at least it doesn't hurt just to move.

Boolit Master

All in all, I prefer my clothes to get wet from the outside in instead of from the inside out. I was in France back in late April and was was caught in rainstorm. My wife was making a big deal about my getting wet, but I still smiling since even though the outside was wet, I was still dry under all the wet clothes. Even on a "dry" day here, I start out with sweaty underwear and it slowly seeps to the outer layers. It's just too humid for the sweat to evaporate and cool you down any around here.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    As all of my fellow southern brethren know, It's not hot!!, it's like sticking your head in an oven and then try to breathe. I have a huge problem as I only have my left lung working.
    I wanted to cast some the other day as my cabin fever was high and I had my wife help put all of my casting gear on our back porch. Well, it was 98 with 90% humidity and my thought was that I could cast a 1/2 pot or so and then come inside to cool off before going back outside. I never made it as when I started to cast, I could no longer breathe and need to come inside and get some oxygen from my pump.
    I have a 12x24 shop that has a 2 1/2 ton unit in it which provides both air and heat but it increases my bill by $150 a month when I use it to cool my shop but have to run the exhaust fans above my casting bench which remove the bad fumes but also the cold air that I'm paying for. Where is October? Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Made a bunch of 180gr superhard 'ingots' last evening then refilled the pot. Even with the fan on I was soaked but stuff needs to get done.
    I did one of those test as a youngster. TC in the rectum, into the sweat shop. One of the last 60% to get pulled out. About froze on the way back to the dorm - on a bright sunny warm day. Had chills for a few hours and took a day to really recover. Wasn't worth the $25 or so for the experiment.
    Last edited by popper; 08-18-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    111 here in this part of AZ on the Colorado River today, but with only 7% humidity, the swamp cooler in the garage brought the temp down to 76 degrees.
    Folks in the humid climes, haven't a clue what a swamp cooler is. They think it may be some sort of adult beverage.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I learned of a "swamp cooler" from my late wife's mother, when we went to visit her in California. Wonderful thing, it was.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Folks in the humid climes, haven't a clue what a swamp cooler is. They think it may be some sort of adult beverage.
    Swamp coolers used around here would be something that would allow us to get our humidity levels OVER 100%.

Boolit Master
    Triple digits here in the Lone Star State.

And I'm too old to get up at 4:00 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Triple digits here in the Lone Star State.

And I'm too old to get up at 4:00 AM.
    At 04:00, I'm probably just getting in bed!

We need a small tropical storm to come through here and cool things off a bit.

We dropped 2F today, ready for lawn mowing in the morning, should go fast, bermuda has just about gone heat dormant now.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Here on the coastal plain of SE Ga., it's famous for our humidity. The swamps are full of skeeters this year, too, due to the heavy rains early in the year. The worst are the little black ones that don't make a hum, and you don't know you've been bit 'till it starts itchin' like crazy! I just can't take the heat like I used to, and don't have a good venting hood to cast inside, but I'm seriously thinking on it for my new reloading room. Sure would be a boon in this climate!

I used to look forward to this time of the year. I could go to the river and I'd often have the whole run of it by myself. Rarely saw another fisherman. Nowadays, I'm one of those back at the house in the A/C! And glad of it, too! Yeah, these "Golden Years" are really sumthin'! Not being 10 ft. tall, bulletproof and immortal can be a real drag!

Boolit Grand Master

My grass hasn't been mowed but once since the 4th. It sounds like potato chips when you walk on it. Tire tracks around the back left dead streaks.
    In the Winter the cold hurts my bones, and the Summer is just intolerable.
    Where did Spring go?
    I sure hope we have a mild long Fall.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I'm basically out of 9mm booolits, I need them bad for next month. Just going to have to suck it up one night and do it.

It's been in 80's and decent humidity and I cast in my garage which is even hotter.

Boolit Master

I too try to do all my casting for the year in the fall/early winter.

That said, since I made my indoor casting cabinet with vent hood it doesn't really matter. If I do cast in the summer the shop is fairly cool, and of course warm in winter. I do smelt either outdoors or in the open garage. In fact, I did do that two weeks ago, since the forecast was fairly cool(for us) and low humidity.

Boolit Master
    No thanks, I'll do my casting in late Oct. I do enuff sweatin' at work! Now these last couple of mornings have been nice in the lower 70's, if I was tempted that would be the time to do it.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Lately I've been starting my casting, on the nights I'm able to, around 10 pm and going until midnight. I keep promising myself I'll heat the garage so that I can get all of next summer's casting done during the cold, dark, miserable winter months. But you know what they say, hope in one hand, poop in the other, see which one fills up first.