Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Hot and Humid to Cast

Boolit Grand Master

To Hot and Humid to Cast

Feels a lot hotter and more humid than the weather says. I need 314299's. It is hard in the 80's with high 60% humidities.
    I don't know you you southerners cast, unless it is inside.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Shiloh it's been in the mid 90's with humidity of 70% more or less - just miserable (at the moment - a little after 8 P.M. it's 78 deg. with 93% humidity). I don't do much casting (or shooting for that matter) during the summer. It never bothered me when I was young, but it does now.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Been around 100*F @ 60% or something here. I work in a poorly ventilated hangar in this baloney. The only thing i'm interested in when I get off work is a cold drink and trying to absorb the maximum allowable human dosage of conditioned air possible. Just sucks the lifeforce right out of you...
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

This has become a HUGE reason I'm favoring aluminum mold blocks more and more. An hour later and brass feels more like depleted uranium.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

The main reason I try to stockpile during the winter, plan ahead. Unless a new mould happens along, got to try it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    I Don't do heat well. 87 the other day with about 70% humidity. I pound down water and Gatorade Zero. Sweat poor off me and my tee shirts are soaking wet after cutting the lawn. Gonna try and get out in the early AM for an hour and a half.
    As a younger man, no issues.

Even with the house sealed, the AC at 75-76, I still dump the de-humidifier downstairs daily.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    You fellas up nawth got it easy. We run 90*+/90%+ as routine this time of year. Did 400+ bullets about 2 weeks back, mix of .30/.45.

Get a window fan, enjoy the breeze.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Banned

humidity is a help when casting.
    I usually have to add some to the shop.
    in the winter it's a pan of water on the wood stove, in the summer I have a small ac unit that takes water.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I cast right out here in the great outdoors..... It's going to be 96° again tomorrow (80-90% humidity) and I'll be there. I do have a fan that is just out of the picture to help keep it bearable. The humidity is pretty rough. You can't tell it, but just behind that blue boat in the top of the pic is water that is standing about 4" deep all through the forest. Yup, I live in a swamp.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Skeeters must be ferocious! The ones we have here seem to be like small pterodactyls.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yep, they pretty bad.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Cast a few hours about 2 weeks ago - mid 90's and 70 degree plus dew points. Soaked my shirt and jeans and had to watch out for sweat dripping in the pot. I hate summer in N.E. Texas!

Boolit Master

SW Texas is better because of the lower humidity but we hit 105 today in the shade so I'll leave my casting for later in the year...

Boolit Master

I prefer to do my casting in the winter -- all 3 days of the winter.

I was showing my nephew how to cast and reload recently, so I brought my casting pot inside and cast some in air-conditioned comfort. I figure I could get spoiled doing it that way.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    You fellas up nawth got it easy. We run 90*+/90%+ as routine this time of year. Did 400+ bullets about 2 weeks back, mix of .30/.45.

You are sooooo right...
    A couple of days ago I cast 2500 45acp swc 91degrees 89% humidity had to keep changing the sweatband to stop the drips...
    must be nice to have less than 80% humidity..LOL

And I thought it was just me...... Humidity bother's me now that I'm older, I guess I'll have to wait till fall to catch up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    And I thought it was just me...... Humidity bother's me now that I'm older, I guess I'll have to wait till fall to catch up.
    Yup, And I'm up north.
    Used to be it wasn't an issue.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Yup, And I'm up north.
    Used to be it wasn't an issue.

SHiloh
    Y'all sit tight, it's comin'. A few months and it'll cool off - it'll be time to get busy.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post

we may have it easier, but when it's 85 you are 100 degrees or so from winter's low temps. I cast outside in the summer, but it's still cooler than when I was in Saudi Arabia back in 91
    PS Not trying to brag, just trying to keep things in perspective
    Last edited by jaydub in wi; 07-25-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: content

Boolit Master
    Casting is seasonal.