Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 336 in 35 Rem was pouting sooooo

Boolit Buddy

My 336 in 35 Rem was pouting sooooo

Had not had the 336 out in about 6 months and it was feeling dejected and making faces at me when I went out to the range so I loaded up some Boolits and took her to the range and it looks like she was happy to be out of the gun locker
    RCBS 35-200 Boolit
    target on the left is 25 Gr 4064
    target on the right is 5 shots with 25 gr H4895
    75 yards I do have glass on it with my eyes I need it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1034[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	140968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1035[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	140969
    I really do LIKE shooting that rifle
    Tony

Moderator Emeritus

Good lookin' groups....Mine is jealous.......need to follow suit!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, I showed this thread to my 336 and it's now mad at me. I can't get these stitches out of my thumb quick enough.

Boolit Buddy

LMAO I made the Marlin Happy but I have a gun locker full of other guns that are threatening a riot I guess the only solution is more loading and more range time D#$@ the bad luck but somebody has got to do it.
    Tony

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I love my .35 remington. It was my father's. My brother wanted it so I sent it his way. Last year he traded it back to me. I've been putzing around with the 200 grain saeco and reloader 7 lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339[1].jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	140979
    This is the first Levergun I have ever owned. I have always wanted one but Delaware is a shotgun only state for deer so never got around to getting one. A few years ago a friend got me into shooting cast (you know to save money) and I was in a LGS and he had taken it in on trade and the price was right he was asking $250 ( I had $200 cash in my pocket and he took it shhhh ) but I knew nothing about the 35 Rem so I called my buddy and asked him about the 35 rem in a 336 for cast, well he gave it his stamp of approval so I brought it home and with a lot of help from members here I got my hands on some Brass and a few boolits to try and I became a 35 Rem Fan in short order there was a RCBS 35-200 mold on the way and I was searching the net for Brass ( you know to save money ) it is a REALLY FUN RIFLE TO SHOOT. I do hope to take a trip south and do a hog hunt and I know what rifle I will take when that happens.
    Tony

PS I put the scope on it it did not come with it

Boolit Master
    FatnHappy, I have a 336 RC in 35 rem also. When I take folks to the range, I make sure it goes with me. It is the rifle that most people really enjoy shooting.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

I have had the sad duty of putting three horses down on the farm and I used my 336/.35 Remington to do it. A 200gr RCBS boolit ahead of a charge of BLC2 and it was instant each time, not a kick, quiver or noise. I kept my shots to the brain and the range was from 25 to 40 yards with peep sights. Since I had no choice I am glad to have used something that flipped the switch instantly.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Grand Master

I shot my other 336 this past weekend, it was right next to my 35 Rem so I'm sure she noticed. Should have the other 336 cleaned up tonight so I'm expecting a dose of cranky from her when I put it away, lol. Old girl can get cranky, too. She's earned the name Scopekiller over the last few years, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Old girl can get cranky, too. She's earned the name Scopekiller over the last few years, lol.
    That's why you don't put a scope on a lever action

Boolit Master
    The 336 is a nice rifle, let alone in 35Rem!

i managed to get this 336,XLR in 35 Rem about 6-7 years ago.

at the LGS, I had all sorts of the guys tell me that Marlin doesnt make a XLR in 35Rem!

it was even hard to find in the marlin website! Lol!

about a week after inquireing about this rifle, I found one by total fluke at a local gunshow!
    i havent seen even 1 ever since!

I am thinking I may reduce the barrel length from 24" down to 20 or 21 inches. Just to make the rifle easier to carry and handle. This change in length will improve its balance as well.

Boolit Buddy

Dthunter that is one PURDY Rifle!!!! The only thing I am thinking about doing to mine is learn how to do Checkering and refinishing the furniture on it
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Dthunter: I'm jealous. What an awesome looking rifle. If she shoots half as good as she looks, you've got a real keeper there!

Tony, if you get a chance, you might see how your rifle responds to IMR 3031 (not that there's a thing wrong with your groups mind you.)

Last year I refinished my father's 1954 vintage 336 in 35 Remington. I think it had my fingerprints rusted into it from when I was a kid, and I have to claim responsibility for a couple buggered screw heads too, which I peened back in shape and repaired. You do stupid stuff when you're a kid and like to take guns apart (sigh).
    All's well that ends well. Dad has his rifle back and it looks better than it ever did with deep hot salt bluing and truoil finish on the wood. He always said that 35 Remington was his favorite rifle, and I can't blame him one little bit.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Everybody loves pictars

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome bunch of rifles in this thread. There's something about a 336 in 35 Rem.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

My pre83 .35 rem. wears a Lyman peep and is known as "The Meat Gun"

Boolit Master
    Many years ago a hunting buddy wanted a 336 in 35 Rem for deer hunting. I found one and got it to him, in spite of also wanting for myself. He kept the rifle for 25 years or so, until I asked if was still hunting. Nope, says he, quit chasing deer 10 years back or so. We talked trade and the 35 came home with me. This rifle was made in 1968 and doesn't have a mark on it. Have worked up loads with J-word bullets but now have the RCBS 35-200 mold for real hunting. Check back with me at the end of this year's hunting season for the rest of the story.

Thin Man

I cringe every time someone mentions shortening a 24" barrel. They are not easy to find and I do not find them that unhandy.

Started out with a Red Dot and now have an inexpensive Bushnell shotgun scope on it. It has not been hard on the scope and should not be as I have had little trouble with larger calibers and scopes. The rifle is a 35 Remington made about the time I was born. 24 inch barrel which worked very well for a very quick shot on the 7 pointer in heavy brush.

DP

Boolit Buddy

Goodsteel I have a 3031 load that is just as accurate as those she likes it too. As a matter of fact I have had really good results with everything I have pushed a boolit down the barrel with RD, 3031,4895,4064 have not push the speed very hard yet but will soon.

Dragon the 336 I have was a Pa rifle the guy that traded it in retired down here I imagine she has seen a few days in the woods like you pic

Northmn nice pics have not drawn blood with mine yet but hope to in the future either a hog hunt or deer in MD
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

My 336 in 35 Rem was pouting sooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Menner View Post
    Dragon the 336 I have was a Pa rifle the guy that traded it in retired down here I imagine she has seen a few days in the woods like you pic
    I'd say that's pretty much a fact. 35 Remington is a very popular cartridge here. At times I think this state is responsible for keeping it and the 760/7600 Gamemasters in production. Hard to find a household that hunts that doesn't have a Gamemaster or a lever in 35 Rem. Most have multiples of both. And some have a 760 in 35 Remington