WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: The CZ 550 Varminter in .308

The CZ 550 Varminter in .308

Perhaps a year or more ago I loaded some .308's and there they sat in the box until last weekend. It was sunny, bright, little to no wind and according to some gun writers I should have never gotten the group I did. I was shooting a CZ 550 varmint which is a nicely done mauser 98 (some one once wrote that any Mauser won't shoot better than 3/4" at 100 yds.) I seated the bullet to the point of just touching the lands of the chamber which left the gas check, and a lube groove exposed to the powder and used no filler. I did not weight the bullets as I do with my win '85 in .32-40 and left the front 2 empty lube grooves exposed. The glass was a 6x-18 Leapold set at 18x and used CZ rings. The first seven shots measured .338 c-t-c with the eighth shot, that I admittedly pulled to the right making the group .459 c-t-c. The load was in brand new WW brass, 17.0 grs of 2400, a WLR primer (hand seated), and a SAECO (mold # 315) 175.5gr bullet sized to .311 (this means no sizing) made from ACWW with a hornady GC. The only brass prep that I did was to chamfer the flash holes. I shot several 3 and 5 shot groups of the one hole type and the last eight rounds were the group shown. On a parting note, these were just supposed to be spotters as I had just put the scope back on this rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSC_1309.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	134795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSC_1306.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	134796
    Last edited by Marine Sgt 2111; 03-23-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Hope the Zastava in .308 i have ordered shoots half as well. That is some fine shooting!!!
    Lol i had decided on a cz varminter and then found the Zastava at a closeout price. You've got me re thinking that decision! That answers the question i had about sizing that very boolit too.
    I have seen where at least one other member here has sized only the base band to .3115" and left the rest of the taper on it untouched. It shot very well for them also.
    Again...very nice!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Sgt 2111 View Post
    Perhaps a year or more ago I loaded some .308's and there they sat in the box until last weekend. It was sunny, bright, little to no wind and according to some gun writers I should have never gotten the group I did. I was shooting a CZ 550 varmint which is a nicely done mauser 98 (some one once wrote that any Mauser won't shoot better than 3/4" at 100 yds.) I seated the bullet to the point of just touching the lands of the chamber which left the gas check, and a lube groove exposed to the powder and used no filler. I did not weight the bullets as I do with my win '85 in .32-40 and left the front 2 empty lube grooves exposed. The glass was a 6x-18 Leapold set at 18x and used CZ rings. The first seven shots measured .338 c-t-c with the eighth shot, that I admittedly pulled to the right making the group .459 c-t-c. The load was in brand new WW brass, 17.0 grs of 2400, a WLR primer (hand seated), and a SAECO (mold # 315) 175.5gr bullet sized to .311 (this means no sizing) made from ACWW with a hornady GC. The only brass prep that I did was to chamfer the flash holes. I shot several 3 and 5 shot groups of the one hole type and the last eight rounds were the group shown. On a parting note, these were just supposed to be spotters as I had just put the scope back on this rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSC_1309.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	134795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSC_1306.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	134796
    Very Nice!

CZ makes some very fine rifles. It looks like you know how to do your part too.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Bub
    Would appear that chamber parallel throat is to SAAMI max 'oversize', approx 0.312 and would explain the brilliant accuracy with the CB which fits well and lines up the CB on ignition!

However, for a varmint/target chamber would have expected said "parallel throat" to be closer to .310 max (min. SAAMI spec.) for accuracy with j-bullets...

Boolit Grand Master

Good shooting, nice looking rifle. Almost disappointing when the first load is so close to perfect, going to be very hard to improve on that load. Nicely done.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.