Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heavy 9mm Subsonic semi auto pistol mold (147-165gr)?

Boolit Bub

Heavy 9mm Subsonic semi auto pistol mold (147-165gr)?

Anyone have a mold they like that works in pistols that's heavy for the 9mm? Obviously there are plenty of 147gr molds out there, but wondering if anyone has any luck with something up to 165gr (like the Xtreme bullets 165gr rn)?

bullet would be powder coated, mostly shot in semi auto pistols (FN 509T and Glock) suppressed but could see some sub gun use at some point.

I've seen plenty of cast bullets that are the heavier weights (even sizing down 38/357 bullets) but trying to find a specific mold that someone is currently using that works. The issue is, with the heavier weights, the nose of the bullet can cause feeding issues in many cases, so ideally looking for a mold that someone has used in a semi auto pistol. Would be great if it was something that I could swap out and make HP bullets as well (some older threads had some MP/NOE molds that would cast around 155-160gr solid and 150gr hp).

Worst case I order the newer Lee 356-147-TC and see how it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-9mm-subsonic

You might be surprised by what will feed.

If I were to get a custom mold, I’d make this a boattail. Put a good hollow point in it to bring the weight down.

I bought this MP mold
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...inum-nlg-mold/
    I just shot it this Sunday, about 150 boolits, with good precision, I used WSL 3.6 grains.
    I think in my case I will go up to 3.7 or 3.8, since I have had a couple of extraction failures.
    The boolit enters very low in the brass, so I build them quite long, which the mag allows me to do.
    I use pure lead and add linotype to 11BHN, with that alloy it ends up coming out at 149 grains.
    Quite accurate on my tanfoglio stock2

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot c358-165rf from mp molds out of my 9mm. Not enough penetration with the hp pins, so I use the solids in the 9mm. They weigh 167 after pc. No feeding or other issues. Also the most accurate boolit so far, in both my 9mm and 357.

Boolit Buddy

Heavy 9mm

I got this Accurate Molds 36-160F and it casts like a dream and I made up some dummy rounds and they feed no issues in my G17 and G 19. I haven't had a chance to do any load development for them yet but hope to this summer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tDeUURo.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	326440

Name:	Hl2djS1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	326441
    With the lead I had in my pot they cast at 165gr.

Boolit Bub
    I use an mp 360-640 hp. It drops 145gr as a deep hollow point and 155gr as a solid. It will give you the option of multiple weights by changing the pins. Feeds great.

I have the MP round nose as listed above and the HP of same weight. They shoot great but I get a good drop of 2" at 20 yards compared to 124 grains. No issues with feeding with either MP mold for me.

RN I cast with WW for target rounds. HP I cast with 7/8 BHN 1/2 and 1/2 allow to get better expansion. The RP's do not expand 1/1000" when fired into a barrel of water. Pure hole punchers. Mic out the same diameter as the barrel still.

For us users of Magma machines, they used to make a 160 grn. round-nose for .38super. It could also be sized down to 9mm and you'll see the end product still offered by many commercial casters. If you have a Master Caster or Bullet Master machine, NEW WEST makes the molds now.

This image shows it on the far left, as offered by Bayou Bullets.

When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master

I use this MP 8 cavity mould to make heavy bullets mainly for my competition revolvers.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...o-lube-groove/

With softer lead I get a 163-165gr. bullet.

I have coated them in HT and PC but prefer the HT. While I got it mainly for my revolvers I have loaded and shot it successfully in 9mm autos.

In the pic below you can see samples of the bullet both with PC and HiTek. The two loaded 9mm rounds on the left are loaded to length for my 9mm revolver and the one on the right is loaded for shooting in my autos. You can see I seated them slightly shorter than my revolver load. These shoot super soft and in my Glock 17L they are almost too soft shooting.

And below is a pick of the MP 8 cavity mould that just rains bullets out. Molds for bullets with no lube grooves are easy to use as the bullets just fall out upon opening. And when you are making 8 bullets at a time you can really produce lots of bullets in a short time.

Name:	MIHEC Bullets web.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	326499

Name:	8 cavity mould.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	326500

I've shot the Saeco 158grTC. It seats too deep for me but does work. A RN or RNFP would seat out a bit further. The 16-165 shoot stupid soft but in a heavy steel slide, like a 1911, the slide speed is very slow. I went back to 147.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I have found that the 38 Super 160 grain RN plain base hard cast in the 9mm Para case with AA #7 you can get fair results with a Tarus 92 with its supported chamber. Also found that they do make up a serious comp gun, if converted to single action with a screw through a slot in the trigger bar, and with a tapered cone comp and a slide cut with the front tapered and cut round and centered in a 4 jaw chuck. A solid guide rod through the bottom of the comp block, keeps the barrel fairly stable. Imp can be done as a threaded barrel for a can. The frame safety works well.Some time you can find them in pawn shops for cheap.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Lyman 356637 works well in all my firearms.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-9mm-147-grain

It's tapered which really helps when seating into a tapered case. My soft boolits weight 157gr after PC.

The nose is stepped down which helps feeding in non-throated barrels.

Name:	015-2660637.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	326630

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    I bought this MP mold
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...inum-nlg-mold/
    I just shot it this Sunday, about 150 boolits, with good precision, I used WSL 3.6 grains.
    I think in my case I will go up to 3.7 or 3.8, since I have had a couple of extraction failures.
    The boolit enters very low in the brass, so I build them quite long, which the mag allows me to do.
    I use pure lead and add linotype to 11BHN, with that alloy it ends up coming out at 149 grains.
    Quite accurate on my tanfoglio stock2
    I have the Lube Groove version of this mold. I BELIEVE it's a clone of the Saeco 928 mold. You can search for data related to that mold, it should open up some possibilities for you.

Also, if you go back and look at older manuals, you might see that there is load data out there for using the Lyman 358311 160gr bullet in the 9mm. I haven't done this, at least I don't remember having ever done it. But I hear it's a pretty decent shooter if you can chamber it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    -15%
    I use the the MP mold below, it works well and runs about 150 grains with my range lead alloy.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...aluminum-mold/

9-147 556 rcbs clone, 8 cavity AL mold

Ps. 8 at a time makes for a lot of boolits in a fairly short time.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.