Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 375 H&H rifles

Boolit Master

375 H&H rifles

I've found a couple of local 375 H&H rifles for sale and am having a hard time choosing, so figured I would ask advice here.

The first one belongs to a nice guy that I've traded with before. It is a Interarms Mark X, with a 4X weaver scope and is in excellent condition. He wants $700 for it and I think we could do a partial trade with another gun I have.

The second one is in a new gun shop that, frankly, doesn't know guns very well. It is a Browing A bolt stainless stalker in excellent shape. It has a leupold vxii 3-9x on it. They want $850 plus tax.

Which would you choose and why?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    Attachment 109737Here is a picture of the Interarms.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Galena Guru

I'm partial to the CZ 550 , either one is a great choice , but I thinketh I wud pick the Interarms over the Browning , and I am a Browning fan of the first order ..

And it's not a money issue either , but on the other hand an A bolt with a Loopy at 850 is a steal

so there my opinion didn't help ya one little bit
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Banned

I would go for the A Bolt. If you subtract the value of the glass on each choice, the A bolt is a great deal. I don't see how you could lose either way.

the .375 H&H is for hunting things in far away places that may come hunting you if thing don't go well. the Interarms Mark X is a control round feeding 98 Mauser style action. I have a Interarms Mark X in .458 Win. Mag. that I have no worry about it doing it's part if a cape buffalo hunt goes bad.
    the Browning is a push feed rifle , I would much rather have control round feed and not need it than need it and not have it. Regardless of the fact that the Interarms Mark X is over 20 years old I have not heard of any one shooting a .375 H&H Mag. enough to ever worry about wearing it out.
    I have nothing against Browning but push feed is a deer or target rifle only

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the Interarms. I have shot several such in 375 H&H and .458 Win Mag and they are comfortable to shoot with the well designed wood stocks. Plus they are CF as mentioned and absolutely reliable.

I also have dealt with 2 Browning stalkers in 375 H&H. Both had the fiber/injection moulded stocks. The recoil of both was sharp and painful with those stocks. I did not like shooting them at all.

I would have got an Interarms 375 H&H but couldn't find one at the time so I "settled" for a Win M70 CF 375 H&H. No regrets there but the Interarms would probably have been just as serviceable.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-05-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The Interarms, in a heartbeat. Why? Among other things, it's a controlled feed Mauser, and the Browning isn't. The Interarms is Africa DG proven many times over. It's a no brainer.

Banned
    +1, +1 on the Interarms. Have had 2 or 3 375 Interarms, (currently have a .416) & used to have 2 375 A bolts. Hands down on the Interarms. Mauser action, good rifle, takes a beating & keeps on ticking. Excellent dangerous game gun. Didn't like the A bolts at all.

Well, I own the browning, and it was a bitiach to shoot before I got it ported.. It had the moulded synthetic stock, and it just freakin hurt to shoot... But after porting, it became my go to rifle for everything Alaskan... Sooooo if you dont mind investing in porting, I would say the browning hands down... It is a great gun, and I have taken many many moose, deer, and bears with mine....

my wife has the interarms bolt in a couple of different cali's, and they are fine guns, but I love my original browning A-bolt...

aG

The 375 H&H caliber implies dangerous game. Like dh2 and others say, go with the Mauser control feed action.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Years ago I had an Interarms .375 H&H. Sorriest thing I ever did was trade it off....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

The obvious solution to this dilemma is to buy them both, shoot them for a year or so and then decide which one you want to sell. Not only will it be fun, but you will have first hand knowledge on which one you like best.

That's a lot of gun for Pronghorn...
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    That's a lot of gun for Pronghorn...
    Yes but it would still work. In Alaska I used the 375 H&H for everything except for Caribou in the winter & sheep & goat. Then I used a 300Win with a spare mag with 225 Barnes SP for bears that shouldn't of been there.

Have used the .375 Interarms to great effect & gave one to one of my sons & he still uses it. Wish I'd a kept one but kept getting offered to much money so had to sell. Now I'd like to get another & would probably have to pay way more than I sold them for. With several 375s it's hard to justify another, but if a deal came around I'd jump for it. It certainly is one of the best of the dangerous game rifles around.

Boolit Master
    I have an Interarms in .300 Win, accurate, reliable, trustworthy. The Interarms is a HUNTING rifle, Browning's are pretty rifles to show-off at the local gun club on a summer Saturday afternoon.

Boolit Master
    As much as I dislike the Mauser action, I would go for the Interarms as well....if you have dreams of big mean toothy things. If your hunting deer, elk, black bear, and shooting paper the Browning is a good deal.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I put together a .375 H&H, some 30 years ago using a Mark X action, an Interarms stock and a 26" medium heavy barrel. I have never hunted in Africa but with a G/C'd 255gr cast boolit @ 2000fps, it's the hammer of Thor. Skip the Browning, go with the Mark X and smooth it out with some lapping compound and a stone, you'll never be sorry...
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Galena Guru

I guess if the 375 is too much for pronghorn , then my 458 Lott is as well ??

Oh well , no one told me ..

Wish I still had my 375
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the help guys. I honestly don't have the desire to kill a brown bear or anything "dangerous" other than maybe a cull bull. Maybe take it elk hunting or if the buffalo ever make a comeback. Always have wanted a 375h&h because it is a classic, and that's enough reason for me. Should make a fine cast boolit round on "lesser" game as well. I'm pretty sure that I will get the Interarms on the recommendation of most here. It really is a classic looking rifle.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    +1, +1 on the Interarms. Have had 2 or 3 375 Interarms, (currently have a .416) & used to have 2 375 A bolts. Hands down on the Interarms. Mauser action, good rifle, takes a beating & keeps on ticking. Excellent dangerous game gun. Didn't like the A bolts at all.

+1+1+1 After a lot of shooting and searching an Interarms Whitworth .375 is what I have.