MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wow ! ... the cost ....

My first handgun, which I bought about 1981, was a .41 mag. Even back then factory lead was about $20 a box IF I could find it.. At the time I could load it for about $3 a box. With my own cast bullets I'm loading for $7-$8 a box. I couldn't afford to shoot it if I didn't reload.

All my SD guns carry reloaded ammo, jacketed and cast. For one I don't have to worry about the cost of practicing and function tests with the same ammo I am going to use for SD, it's all the same. I guess I'd rather become profficient with a "good" bullet than adequate with a "perfect bullet"

If the availability and price of .22 ammo stays where it is at much longer I suspect we may see some of the .22 center fires make a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Hah, try buying .41 mag ammo. Anywhere from $75.00-$90.00 for a box of 50, if you can find it. Gotta love reloading.
    Last edited by dakotashooter2; 05-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am now wondering (AGAIN) how many of you guys think the amo shortage is due to individuals buying it and reselling it? If you still believe this there is something terribly wrong with you're thinking or you simply don't want to admit the truth!
    Ask yourself the following questions:
    1. Before Obomination, what was the cost of .22 amo or any other amo, or for that matter reloading products/guns/anythig firearm related?
    2. Do you believe the drought in parts of the US has caused this?
    3. Take a guess on how many rounds of .22 amo was used per year before Abomination. Do you sincerely believe the Government has bought up all the .22 amo for training purposes relative to that, and is continuing to do so?
    4. Powder/primers/lead, have been raised in price continually from the begining of Obomination, is it "GREED" or Obomination, or both!

5. My interests lie in being able to shoot and hunt! My beliefs are that the Government under Democratic control has made a direct and deliberate advance into my liberties with the sole purpose of changing the constituation to there beliefs!
    If this happens, there will no longer be a constitution of any sorts but a country that is open for SALE!

For Gods sake please start writing your Congressman and the up coming election canditates asking DIRECTLY what there positions are and definitely requesting a response in writing! Remember he/she is there to serve you, not the other way around!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you guys are my friends, some not! But one thing is for sure, if you don't start thinking/doing this web site will seace to exist

I know I keep bending your guys ears, but I don't think many have any idea what the Democratic party is trying to do! Please STOP and think!

Now time for the "Ringers" they love to explain how they are not to blaim, and I just don't understand (Yea RIGHT)!!!
    Last edited by Changeling; 05-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector_17 View Post
    All my equipment is paid for with savings from reloading. Wife leaves me alone, I get to melt metal, and make things that go bang when I pull the trigger. All together a great hobby.

How the he!! did you make THAT happen? The rest of us need to know man!!!

Talk about being out of touch. I went to buy two tires for my truck and with being mounted, balanced and the disposal fee for the old tires, the bill topped $600

Boolit Master

Yea, but there is no inflation. Yeah, right!
    God Bless, Whisler

Yes , who would have thought that someday we would wind up shooting the basic handload calibers cheaper
    than 22 !..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Yes , who would have thought that someday we would wind up shooting the basic handload calibers cheaper
    than 22 !..
    Only too true!! the last 22 lr I saw were 100 packs of CCI for 7.99. My 32-20 or 32 S&W Longs cost me less than $6.00/100. Even my 38 wadcutters cost less. Who'd a thunk it?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    than 22 !..
    Only too true!! the last 22 lr I saw were 100 packs of CCI for 7.99. My 32-20 or 32 S&W Longs cost me less than $6.00/100. Even my 38 wadcutters cost less. Who'd a thunk it?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

223 at wal mart $13/20 or $15/30 brass cased. Picket up some TAC today for $18.75/lb at the LGS!

Any time I get a New caliber I try to buy some factory ammo, then comes the reloading stuff!

Boolit Grand Master

Been buying too many moulds, tools and components lately. Can't afford to save any more money right now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to the old timers that lured me to the dark side almost 55 years ago. May they RIP as none are left. In the last 55 years good reloading equipment has not depreciated if it has been taken care of. Not only did they teach me to reload they told me that during the second world war the only people shooting were the reloaders. How about rationing back then? Gas, sugar, tires, meat, repair parts.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yea , my big cheese Rep is Hari Reid,but thanks for suggesting I waste the pixals much less ink.

I stroked out when 45 Colts jumped from 19 to 38 a box about 10 yr ago. Hornady dropped the bullet I've shot for nearly 20yr in all the 30 cals. and due to devlopement problem I was forced to buy a box of 308 $23/20 Herters/by S&B and 222 Federal Hy-Shock at $19.50/20.
    2 yr ago I scored 5 boxes of 38 on a clearance at 12.50//box ,it gave me an even 1k Federal 38 spl. A buddy just bragged he bought 357s at just $24/box .

Now if I could just find 5k or so CCI LRP to go w/the brand new 8# of 4350....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Casting my own, I reload all the service calibers for 4c-5c each at today's prices. Casting & reloading saves me literal $1000 of $$$ annually vs factory.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    The problem may be that your money is worth less than it was not so long ago. Especially on imports. The co. that I work with just took a 33% uptick on the parts that they import from Europe.

Boolit Master
    Did we ever hear the reason that every powder maker is suddenly out of powder? Or.
    Is it like the petroleum companies that raise their prices by $.02 and every station does the same?
    Why do suppliers not monitor these sites and see what is being said about their business.
    Is it like crack, they know we are hooked ?
    Leadmelter
    MI

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Been buying too many moulds, tools and components lately. Can't afford to save any more money right now.
    Saving all that money do get expensive, don't it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Funny you should mention Midway head stamped brass. I was looking in a closet and found a box that contained .357 Midway stamped brass that I had loaded years ago in the late 70's or early 80's. I am shooting that ammo right now and it is working just fine. It was loaded with Win. 296 and some Remington jacketed bullets. About 500 of them! That Midway stamped brass was made by Starline I do believe.

Don
    Back in the 80's, Dad bought a bunch of Midway-stamped loaded .357 ammo from Midway. It was a good deal at the time. IIRC, they were loaded HOT. Dad still has a bunch of the brass.

Boolit Buddy
    A lee mold costs less than a box of jwords. A no brainer. I could'nt afford to shoot, esp 9.3x62 or 45-70, if I had to buy factory. My plain based .40 and .38spl cost .22lr prices. Loaded with range lead, range brass and light loads of Unique, I got some pretty cheap shooting. A lot of credit for that comes from this site!

Boolit Buddy

The old saying "Out of sight Out of mind" really works lol. If she doesn't see me she can't give me anything to do. So I go to my shed with my mp3/radio player and stay out of the way.