Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the Next Size Larger Grill/Smoker

Boolit Grand Master

Got the Next Size Larger Grill/Smoker

Had the Wrangler model, moved up to the Super Pro. An extra 145 sq. inch of cooking space.
    Now I have to seal it all up like I did the Wrangler. On sale at Fleet Farm for $99. The smaller one I hauled back from Texas was $99.
    Already have an interested buyer for the smaller one when I get the new one up and smokin'.

Post pics when It is running.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Rule of thumb on smokers: Whatever size you own is to small

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Rule of thumb on smokers: Whatever size you own is to small
    How quickly I found that out!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

I started with Weber kettles, moved to a homemade stacked block smoker(no pic of that, didn't really work well) then I bought one of these

By the time I retired from catering this was to small

Now I have a Traeger and it is to small for my annual BBQ but that is the only time of the year I need extra space. Multiple smokers are really the way to go, and a good rib rack!

Vendor Sponsor

MaryB I have a Traeger Lil Tex, my son has the same one, Traegers ROCK! Best BBQ grill they ever invented.

Memorial day 2012, baby backs, grilled fresh pineapple, corn, and freshly picked garlic scapes..

Click on the pic, it's a video..

And here are those delicious ribs after cooling, another short video:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I have the same Traeger, stacked 6 racks of spares in it last 4th of july. One upgrade that is really worth it is the digital temp controller.

Boolit Master
    My brother and a friend of his use this one:

http://www.gatorpit.net/trailer_pits/falcon.htm

It's got another cooking section on the right side and wood storage over there as well.

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master
    WOW!!

Nice units. When the experience and budget gets bigger, I'll have to make a choice. NICE Units!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

Traeger is great for a roll it out, plug it on and cook setup. Fill with pellets and good for 24 hours slow cooking. The Klose mobile pit I had was a stick burner. I used red oak almost exclusively in it. Had to tend fire every half hour, lot of work and got to be to hard on my back. But the stick burner also put out the best flavor of all the pits I have used. If you look at the pic loaded with food you will notice thin blue smoke coming out of the upright cooker section. When burning like that the smoke is not acrid smelling, instead it is sweet and that flavors the meat.

Vendor Sponsor

I have the same Traeger, stacked 6 racks of spares in it last 4th of july. One upgrade that is really worth it is the digital temp controller.
    I had a digital controller for about a month and sold it. It wouldn't keep even temps for nothing. Went back to the original controller that you see on there, it works the best on mine. I vary the hickory content of the pellet mix to control temps. More hickory = hotter temps. In the summer I use 100% Perfect Mix from www.cookinpellets.com with no hickory and it runs around 325° which I don't want to go over with ribs, makes the bark too tough. 300-325 is a really good range for baby backs. Cooler weather, I run 100% hickory.

Never tried smoking in it like overnite, I would need a hopper extension for that. It will keep an even temp on the smoke setting but with every other kind of grill, as nighttime temps drop, so will the grill temps. I would need to fill it for a few hours on perfect mix, then later run some more hickory in with that to keep the heat up.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

my digital controller holds within 25 degrees, not bad for a wood burning appliance. On 225 the hopper will easily burn 24 hours on mine.

Boolit Master
    Anyone ever smoke a young ground hog? Just wondering.

I've cooked them in a Dutch Oven before and they were awesome.

Boolit Master

Got the Next Size Larger Grill/Smoker

I did 200 lbs of briskets for a charity event in my Southern Pride DH-65 the other day. They turned out goooood! Found it used at a restaurant surplus auction and couldn't pass it up. Did 4 turkeys at Christmas.

There are 3 briskets on each rack in the picture.

Boolit Grand Master
    YUM!!

You guys seem to really have a grasp on this. Gonna do a pork butt as my next project. Get good at that, and move up to brisket. Briskets are about
    $45.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

Pork butt is good stuff.

Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for the briskets for the event. We did 200lbs of briskets, 250lbs of baby back ribs, 50 lbs of sausage, a whole hog, and 200 hot dogs for our March of Dimes walk. Fed 500+ people.

I like to buy turkeys when they're cheap around thanksgiving and Christmas. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Love Life
    Very nice stuff!!

We used a pit. It was a brick pit with a rack that could be rotated. We had a separate burn barrel where we burned down our oak. We shoveled coals from the burn barrel into the bottom of the pit. That did all the cooking and smoking. Mmmmmmm.

Boolit Master

A buddy of mine has a Cuban pig roasting box. Really cool setup that can cook a whole pig in 5 hours.

http://www.lacajachina.com/Barbeque-...p/lcc-g100.htm

Vendor Sponsor

The Cubans aren't the only ones that use a caja china. If you watch much Anthony Bourdain, you will see the same style cooker used on several of his shows in different countries.

my digital controller holds within 25 degrees, not bad for a wood burning appliance. On 225 the hopper will easily burn 24 hours on mine.
    I wonder if mine was a bad one? Maybe that's why it was on fleabay to start with? It went back to from whence it came in due time.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought my digital control from Traeger

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=crawfobj;2770081

I like to buy turkeys when they're cheap around thanksgiving and Christmas. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.[/QUOTE]

I know people with freezers full of them. As stated they are priced right during the holiday. It is economical feasting and they smoke GREAT!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel