Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25/20 or 32/20 ?

have both, but the 25-20 is an unshootable heiloom. but i so love the 32-20. it was the original do everything small caliber, until the 22 rimfire. The 32-20 was the gun that won the west... after 1882 anyway...
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Before the gun companies decided to make more 32-20 rifles I was considering having one made . Fortunately Bro.... ummmm .... uh ..... well , OK I'll say it , Browning provided a glorious rifle for use or just admiring . Just don't let some folks know or they might try ta trade ya a cuppa coffee fer it ............ even up !!! ( Sorry IM , I just couldn't resist !!)

I think Ballard rifle company in Michigan can make either caliber for ya though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy

I like both. Before you choose you might want to review both these sites for more detailed info.
    Good Luck!
    Jim
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/re...reloaders.html

Boolit Buddy
    I also have both calibers. Honestly I would take the 25-20 with cast gas checked boolits. My logic goes something like this.

The 32-20 is really too big for pot luck game. Rabbits, squirrels, bull frogs etc. but it does an outstanding job on coons, possums, ground hogs, coyote and fox. I've even taken down a big Mule Deer doe with one shot through the chest at 70+ yards.

The 25-20 does all the above well except the deer, and works well on rabbit and squirrel to boot. I figure I have plenty of Deer rifles, so I find the 25-20 more realistically versatile.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    I like both. Before you choose you might want to review both these sites for more detailed info.
    Good Luck!
    Jim

There is lots of info there. Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

Big fan of the 32-20, accidentally bought a Colt revolver chambered for the cartridge and have had a ball with it. So much fun I had to buy a Navy Arms SAA replica last weekend just because. Still looking for a Winchester 92 in 32-20 but am finding more nice 25-20's. I've heard the little Lee pill that works so well in a 32-20 makes an excellent plinker for the 30-30. It's true a 30-30 will do anything a 32-20 will do but IMHO the 32-20 does it in a more interesting package and with less powder.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I've got Ruger #1 in30/30 and it's great but I wanted repeater that used less powder. I'd love a 300 BLK in a lever action.

Ruger #1 30/30....you had my interest, but now, you have my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Ruger #1 30/30....you had my interest, but now, you have my attention.
    It was a limited run of rifles sold by Lipsey's.

I have a Marlin in .32-20 and for small game...hands down a great cartridge and yes you can take a deer with it.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Buddy
    25-20 is a classic - great shooting little cartridge, but finding brass these days is a challenge.
    32-20 would be my choice...brass, boolits and choice of firearms is better.
    If components were equal I'd have to flip a coin, and hope that it came up 25-20.
    I used to have a 32-20 T/C - a fast 125gr boolit will turn the light off on a deer. (But T/Cs are .308 and there are more bullet selections available.)
    M

PS: Jack Stanley - OK, you don't like Browning...that just means more for the rest of us.
    Last edited by snaketail; 02-05-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have and shoot both lever 25-20s and 32-20s including a Colt SAA in 32-20. All originals. No way a 32-20 can be compared to a 30-30- two different critters all together.

In my experience, the 32-20 is much more cast bullet friendly than the 25-20.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a late eighties early nineties Marlin 25/20 CL that shot like crappola no matter what loads I tried. I bought a 32/20 made in 2004 or so, not sure but it is a tack driver with cast or jacketed. Currently shooting a plain base 3118 type with 3.7 grs 231 for cheap, same as my 1931 Colt OP.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I have and shoot both lever 25-20s and 32-20s including a Colt SAA in 32-20. All originals. No way a 32-20 can be compared to a 30-30- two different critters all together.

In my experience, the 32-20 is much more cast bullet friendly than the 25-20.
    The cast bullet friendly is my thing with my 32-20. I have used 2 different Lee molds for mine that work great. One is a 100 grain roundnose for a 32 revolver and the the other a 120 grain rn. Both work great. As to small game I have shot a few with the 32-20 and there is little waste. Use hard cast bullets. Most of the comments as to its advantages for larger varmints likely hold. Some claim the 25-20 may shoot a bit flatter but I have seen a variety of handlaods for the 32-20 and I doubt if one could really see much difference with open sights.
    Either is a handloading proposition to get the most out of them.

DP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    What are the advantages of a .32-20 over a .30/30?

.30/30's are more affordable and brass is easy to get, You can load from mouse phart to deer loads with cast.

Just wondering....

Don Verna
    The 32/20 is really a pistol cartridge and the .30/30 is a rifle cartridge, rifle actions are diff. sized and the smaller cart. is prolly better for plinking and youngsters.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Snaketail , don't get me wrong I like the little Browning so much I almost bought another one at the show just because it was there . Sorry about the last post the quick reply doesn't have the sarcasm icon to click on .

I can't help but wonder if the CZ 527 would take the 32-20 round ........................

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I have a Winoku 92 in 32-20. It is great and I figure the cast bullets will be a little friendlier for my ham hands these days.

In reply to why not just a 30-30 I have a 32 Special 94 but the little 92 is just a dandy gun.

I am hoping that winchester comes out with the new1873 in 32-20. drool..
    Last edited by mpbarry1; 02-06-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master
    I have had both the 25-20 and 32-20. I just like the 32-20 better. It is my favourite small game cartridge and my favourite cartridge for teaching young people how to shoot. Almost no recoil and quiet.

I have a Winchester 92 and Remington 25 both in 25-20 and like them very much. But were I the OP I would get a 32-20 for the reason he mentioned.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.