Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which loading manuel to you like the best?

Which loading manuel to you like the best?

Hi guys, just wondering which loading Manuel's you like, trust, use the most and why.

For me,

#1 The Updated/Revised Lee manuel can't be beat for shear load data.

#2 The Speer Manuel has allot less loads but allot more background and useful information that spent much time reading.

#3 Lyman has so much data dedicated to cast lead and especially reduced power power loads that I find it unreplacable and priceless.

#4 Accurate. I don't have a printed manuel but downloaded their free one and they have been very helpful to me in answering phone calls and emails about various questions on their powders and various calibers I was working on. Also without them I probably would never have attempted the 458 Socom. Especially since that was the round that got me into reloading as store bought ammo was (is?) almost non existent or very VERY expensive.

Almost never use my Sierra manuel and don't have Hornady's so interested in your thoughts/opinions on these.

Thanks guys!

Banned

I like Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, either edition, Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual, and Load Data subscription as it has all data in one place, including Pet Loads and everything from Handloader Magazine.

Boolit Buddy
    Modern Reloading and Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual. I am using the Lyman a lot more now that I am casting. Many of my SW 500 loads are not listed anywhere. I do a lot of research before I try a new powder and I always use conservative charges.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 45th for cast. It's dated but it's still my favorite.

Banned

"Many of my SW 500 loads are not listed anywhere."
    data
    That is one reason I like Load Data, there are way over 500 500 S&W loads. You will not find many of them anywhere else.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Manual, never load without it.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master

another vote for #45....although a bunch of the prior ones have some great info as well, such as favorite loads in the 41 manual.

Quickload software. Never even open a paper manual anymore.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus
    My go to is the Lyman manuals followed by powder manufacturers data for their powders.

The reason is that these are pressure tested loads and as such give sound parameters to load within.

Once I have these boundaries then I have context for using places like Loaddata, Ammoguide etc and for using predictive software like Quickload.

I always go to the pressure tested data first.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    opposite of the above, I work a load with quickload then use published data to define norms and be sure quickload is in the ballpark, then work up to quickload numbers if possible to find ceiling. then back down again to find accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have any manuals, just use the powder manufacturers site to get the data for my smokeless loads.

Lyman 4th, the latest one out. Then Sinclair International's Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook. Which details techniques right up to the bench rest level.

Boolit Master
    For jacketed bullets

Basic loading.

Lyman
    Hornady 3 and 4 for shooting data charts.

Heavy magnum hot loads.
    Ackley
    Hornady 3 charts
    Lyman

Cast

Lyman

Shot shell
    Lyman
    Older little data booklets from powder manufacturers

Boolit Master

The Lyman cast bullet manual 3rd edition. Then the lyman cast bullet manual 1st edition, then old lyman manuals prior to 1965. I have an RCBS Cast bullet manual and the Lee 2nd edition as well.
    The lyman 4th edition is one of the last I will go to as it has higher velocity loads and fewer low vel load options. Any load I get off the internet is checked against a manual. I do not want to have a surprise pressure excursion turning a gun into useless parts.

I load cast bullets to lower velocities for a number of reasons, less noise, less recoil, and sometimes less powder (hey I am cheap). I have found that a cast bullet will usually work just as well at short range at low velocity as it will at high velocity.

Bottom line, you use the load that meets your specific needs from a reliable source. So far the lyman and Lee manuals have met my needs.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

1. Lyman 49th edition, the one I use the most!

2. Sierra 5th edition, this is a great book for lower end loads, but it is hard to use because of the 3 ring binder. Ended up moving all my used calibers to the front of the book.

3. Lee Modern Reloading Manual 1st Edition, I use it as a reference to different load data. These loads are usually the lowest in recoil.

4. Hornady Reloading manual, 2 book version. I use this as a reference when I want hard hitting ammo.

Since I'm new to casting, I will have to purchase a manual for it. But I know it will be a Lyman manual

Boolit Master
    +1 for Lyman for cast loads

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by karlrudin View Post
    4. Hornady Reloading manual, 2 book version. I use this as a reference when I want hard hitting ammo.
    I use a chronograph when using the Hornady manuals. I have found some starting loads to give max velocity despite a lower published velocity in the manual. I always stop when the chronograph speed hits the max load, no matter how many more grains the manual says can be used. Max velocity means maximum pressure.

A Chrony is not that expensive and can save a great deal of time in developing loads with cast bullets. If you do not get the velocity you expect with the load, find out why, then proceed with caution.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

In Remembrance
    I like the various lymans the best and have several, but also have several others that I check too. For some reason I have never picked up a Lee and I probably should.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman has such a variety of powders and bullets listed that I turn to it first.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee since it has the data listed by all the manuals and manufacturers. Then Hornady since I do load their jacketed bullets. And then Hodgdon's website. I have a bunch of others including the Lymans. They are always the last ones I open because they don't have a lot of data in them that's relevant to me.