RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Almost ready to shoot my cast bullets but ran into what could be a problem.

Almost ready to shoot my cast bullets but ran into what could be a problem.

My cast bullet cartridges chamber just fine for the most part, although sometimes it seems to be a tight fit. When I chamber a round and then extract however, the bullet remains lodge in the bore and the brass is ejected, leaving a huge mess of powder. Its essentially a bullet extractor. Ive checked the width of the lead bullets and they are almost exactly the same width as the factory 8mm rounds I have which extract fine. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the overall length is an issue, I have an over length of about 2.86 inches. Perhaps, the bullets need sizing but they are the same width as my 8mm rounds that work fine... Ive searched for answers to this but couldn't find it, they are also lubed. Perhaps, out in the range it wouldn't matter since the bullet would be fired.
    Last edited by ell198679; 02-05-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Make up some dummy rounds and play with the seating depth. Go a little deeper and see if that helps.

Boolit Master

Yep, you'll see rifling marks on the boolits once you dislodge them -- they're too long and they're engraving on chambering. You might want to make an impact slug or chamber casting so you can measure the throat diameter and length to the rifling start. For rounds you may have to extract unfired, you probably want to leave around .050" clearance between boolit and rifling. The way you've been loading them is actually (often) better for ultimate paper punching accuracy, though...

I have had by far the best accuracy with rounds like that. Sometimes longer with slight engraving is just right. Using a Lee FCD solved the problem with no adverse affect on accuracy.

This is what you want for mild cast loads. The bullet has little to no jump before it engages the lands. I've had cast loads where the bolt was difficult to close but they shot very well without Snyder pressure signs.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are loading without a crimp a slight crimp may solve your problem. My 30-30 boolits engrave quite a bit but are crimped so don't stay in the barrel when I unload.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    elf,
    castboolits are less streamlined than jacketed; deeper seating will prevent them from sticking and dumping powder. this is common with swiss k-31's even with most available j-bullets.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

You never said what weapon this is happening with. If it is a "bolt gun" , well that's how I load for my Rem 700 and Contender pistols,ie; when possible the bullet's nose in engraved into the riflings.
    On self loaders the nose is .10 short if engraving.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by boltons75 View Post
    Make up some dummy rounds and play with the seating depth. Go a little deeper and see if that helps.
    Bingo, problem fixed. thanks

Glad to hear, I always use dummie rounds when setting up a new caliber. No point in wasting the powder and primers.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Others have given good advice, but I'll add my two cents.

Whether this is a problem or not depends on what you are doing and the load. a bullet mildly engaging the rifling so the bolt requires a slight push or slap to get closed is not an issue- and in fact leads to good accuracy- IF you are not using a super fast powder that might push pressure over the top of safe, or otherwise using a max load. IN fact, 16 gr of 2400 with the bullet just pressing the lands with mild pressure to shut the bolt is very good in many of my rifles.

If you are paper punching, this is ideal.

now if hunting or using a semi auto, you want the bullet at least .05 off the lands so as to make sure all rounds chamber flawlessly.

Boolit Bub

The way I check a cartridge over all length is from this link. http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/oal/index.asp

Boolit Master
    Calgunner,
    You nailed it! I've been doing this for over 15 years with a home made setup and it works great, every time! Thanks for posting the link!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

Midway also sells a kit that is used with a cleaning rod to determine overall cartridge length that is about $11. Very easy to use and can be made easily if one does not want to buy the kit. Just a couple of pieces that go on the rod and have thumb screws to keep them in position.

Boolit Master
    calgunner
    Where is that guy getting his info in your link? Case length of 2.11"!!! ***! Cart OAL 2.24"? Really
    Every load manual I own has trim to length of 2.230", COAL is determined by bullet length! The OP's problem is either he hasn't trimmed his cases properly or he is seating his bullets to far out! Most boollets have a seating groove- OP needs to seat to that point first and then see if they feed. If they do then he can try longer seatin to get to where it just touches the lans- then back off .005-.010" off then lans for best accuracy!

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 77 Mk II in 7.62x39 that is scary accurate with the original NEI 72A boolit. It will de-bullet at the loaded length I use, but I really like sub-MOA performance, so I haven't changed anything. I just don't chamber a round unless it's going to be shot. If you must unload without shooting, elevate the muzzle vertical, and catch the cartridge when you open the bolt, without spilling the powder. You should be able to reinsert the charged case and shoot out the boolit. If not able to shoot, a cleaning rod is in order.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."