MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOW THAT i HAVE A STEYR 95 8X56R

NOW THAT i HAVE A STEYR 95 8X56R

Was given a Steyr 95 in 8x56R for a gift. Til I can afford dies, brass and a mold I thought I would see what everyone recommends. Help Please! Looking for loads also.

Boolit Grand Master

Gentlemen, I will be sending him a couple of clips, some brass, and some bullets and some Frankienstein boolits for his new gun.

BTW, Mr. Stevens, Graffs has the brass and bullets for that gun. I know you are on a short budget, so buy some medium speed powder if you don't have any. From 3031 to 4064 speed works well, as well, if you are interested, a full case of WC867 and a kicker also works well with the Frankenstein boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Gentlemen, I will be sending him a couple of clips, some brass, and some bullets and some Frankienstein boolits for his new gun.

BTW, Mr. Stevens, Graffs has the brass and bullets for that gun. I know you are on a short budget, so buy some medium speed powder if you don't have any. From 3031 to 4064 speed works well, as well, if you are interested, a full case of WC867 and a kicker also works well with the Frankenstein boolit.
    Thank you Sir and God Bless. I think I have some powder that will work. Have AA3100. imr 4198, reloader 15. Will these work?
    I might have 1 lb of the AA8700

Boolit Master

For a mold, a 323471 if you can find one. Mine casts a 219gr boolit with my alloy. I use 2400 for powder. Make sure you slug the bore to check the groove diameter.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Man
    lee dies work well for my m95, but their .329" mould listed for the steyr needs to cast at least .331", so i got a lee .338 cal. mould and size it to .331", gas-checked and lubed with liquid alox. it works nicely with 20 gr of 2400 without punishing me.
    4198 should work well, also.

the clips which mr. smith gifted you are important; single-loading without first working the rim under the ejector will cause the ejector to break...probably pretty quickly (i don't aim to test the hypothesis).

i enjoy mine...not enough to shoot full power loads, though! recoil is said to be fierce; i like my retinas attached properly to my eyeballs.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

do not single load this rifle, must be loaded from a clip. forcing the extractor over the rim of the bullet will break it. bullet must enter the extractor from underneath. don't know what the situation is now, but several years ago parts were hard to find especially extractors.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Quote Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
    lee dies work well for my m95, but their .329" mould listed for the steyr needs to cast at least .331", so i got a lee .338 cal. mould and size it to .331", gas-checked and lubed with liquid alox. it works nicely with 20 gr of 2400 without punishing me.
    4198 should work well, also.

the clips which mr. smith gifted you are important; single-loading without first working the rim under the ejector will cause the ejector to break...probably pretty quickly (i don't aim to test the hypothesis).

i enjoy mine...not enough to shoot full power loads, though! recoil is said to be fierce; i like my retinas attached properly to my eyeballs.
    Thanks for the information on using the 338 bullet. Were did you get the sizer die? I first need to size bore and will go from there. Do you know what FPS you are getting with the 2400 load?

Boolit Master
    Also, if you remove the bolt from the rifle, be ready for a challenge getting it back in. There's a trick using a dime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOSGRXguXM
    Like the others have said, use the enbloc. If you break that extractor, I doubt you will find a replacement. This rimmed cartridge and magazine are designed to allow the case rim to slide up and under the extractor claw. Note how the bolt face has no rim on the bottom edge.
    I resort to loaded ammo for brass sometimes. Here's some reloadable non-corrosive primer stuff. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/791...cket-box-of-20
    I prefer the FMJ version, since they are not crimped into a cannalure like the soft points. A plus if you just plan to pull them like I do. The review states they have a .323 diam. Mine all check .329.
    Last edited by wallenba; 02-04-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, you have coming 15 cases in 3 clips. Some of the condom bullets and some of the OldFeller Frankenstein boolits from my mold. I believe NOE now has this? Sizing dies come from Buckshot as far as I am concerned. He does both the H&I style for the Lyman and RCBS or the Lee style. He and OldFeller cooperated on the original Frankenstein design and he has several of these rifles and knows them inside out. Do a search here for the 1895 Steyr or for the 8x56R cartridge and you will get an education. All you need to do is PM him and tell him what you have and need.

I don't know the AA powder, the others are within the speed range. Hornaday should have data for this cartridge.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 02-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Wayne the Shrink

God Bless you Wayne Smith

Boolit Buddy
    People say to only load from the clip but if you lay a round on the follower that pushes the rounds up from the clip and close the bolt with the gun pointed up you will notice that the rim of the case will slide up under the extractor just as when fed from the clip.

Boolit Master

In mine the Lee 220 grn 338 boolit chambers easy as cast and finger lubed no gas check. I am loading with 10B101 so the powder choice won't help. I am using Lee dies and needle nose to flare the case mouth, loading on the cheep, shooting as well as I could expect with the trigger mine has.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    In mine the Lee 220 grn 338 boolit chambers easy as cast and finger lubed no gas check. I am loading with 10B101 so the powder choice won't help. I am using Lee dies and needle nose to flare the case mouth, loading on the cheep, shooting as well as I could expect with the trigger mine has.
    did you slug your bore? wondering what it measures?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Thanks for the information on using the 338 bullet. Were did you get the sizer die? I first need to size bore and will go from there. Do you know what FPS you are getting with the 2400 load?
    the sizer die is one of lee's units that i honed out to .331" (my bore size) with emery/crocus cloth in a split brass rod and a cordless drill. chrono'd, the load gave me 1800 fps.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

Boolit Grand Master

I just remembered, if you get the Lee die set the Oldfellers Frankenstein I sent you will not slide through the seat die. I sent mine back to Lee with a couple of boolits and they reamed it out to fit. It is a simple job, any machinist can do it in a few minutes. If you know what you are doing you can probably do it yourself.
    Wayne the Shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I just remembered, if you get the Lee die set the Oldfellers Frankenstein I sent you will not slide through the seat die. I sent mine back to Lee with a couple of boolits and they reamed it out to fit. It is a simple job, any machinist can do it in a few minutes. If you know what you are doing you can probably do it yourself.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I can do that myself if needed.

Boolit Master
    Something else to consider. The 8 x 56R might well make a terrific PAPER PATCH rifle. I considered getting one for a long while, so I considered the details (based on paper-patching for my Mauser) before even looking for a rifle. The point is, depending on the actual groove diameter of your rifle, it might be very easy to work out a paper patch boolit combination. That would accomplish two things at once.... namely, an easier time making common sized boolits work in the rifle and being able to make loads that you can shoot at "normal" rifle velocities, i.e., over 2000 fps.

Just food for thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    Something else to consider. The 8 x 56R might well make a terrific PAPER PATCH rifle. I considered getting one for a long while, so I considered the details (based on paper-patching for my Mauser) before even looking for a rifle. The point is, depending on the actual groove diameter of your rifle, it might be very easy to work out a paper patch boolit combination. That would accomplish two things at once.... namely, an easier time making common sized boolits work in the rifle and being able to make loads that you can shoot at "normal" rifle velocities, i.e., over 2000 fps.

Just food for thought.....
    Right now the only mould I have that might work for PP is one for the 303 british that makes a .316 dia bullet at 220gr.

Boolit Buddy
    What diameter cast bullet would you guys choose to paper patch a 8x56R Hungarian, all other things being equal? Would you want .010" under groove diameter, or.015" under groove diameter.

Thanks. Hope I'm not drifting this off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    What diameter cast bullet would you guys choose to paper patch a 8x56R Hungarian, all other things being equal? Would you want .010" under groove diameter, or.015" under groove diameter.

Thanks. Hope I'm not drifting this off topic.
    No way are you drifting I am wondering the same.