MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mould for a 7mm Chileno Mauser 1895

Mould for a 7mm Chileno Mauser 1895

Any recommendations for a mold for the 7mm Chileno Mauser 1895.

Thanks.

Marty

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with the RCBS 145 and 168 grain loads in 7mm seat them out as far as possible and try 4895.
    jim

Boolit Master
    My 1895 Chilean really likes the Lyman 287641 cast with about a 12 BHN alloy over 18gr 5744 with dacron filler. Sized to .285 and lubed with soft BP type lube. Mild, accurate and no leading
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    I have been playing with the 135-9 grain Lee mold as well as a 160grain mold that I bought from some one here.
    The lighter shoots to the same point of impact out to 150 yards as my 140 grain jacketed loads.
    The 160 shoots somewhat lower and to the left.

That said I would not have a bad feeling with a boolit weighting 140-170 in the 7x57.

A tight twist military Mauser should like a heavy bullet. I agree with fouronesix

Good shooting,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master

Many, if not most M95 7mms have groove diameters of .286 - .288 if the bores are in excellent condidtion. Mine is .286 and I find a heavier (150 gr+) Loverin style bullet that drops at .286+ will most often shoot well. I've an older original RCBS 28-168-FN that shoots well in my M95. Any similar Lyman mould should do as well.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Boolit Man
    my 7mm's (7tcu, 7mm-08 and 7x57s like lee's design with charges of 2400 giving 1800 fps, or so.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

A friend of mine is going to lend me a RCBS 7mm 145-sil. If it works I will buy it and if not I will try one of the others suggested. Thanks
    Marty

Boolit Master

this one shoots very very well in my 1895

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    A friend of mine is going to lend me a RCBS 7mm 145-sil. If it works I will buy it and if not I will try one of the others suggested. Thanks
    Marty
    That bullet is very similar to the Lyman 160 gr bore rider (just 15gr lighter) so it should do fine. I'd cast up maybe 15 of them with your alloy then measure the shank diameter AND the nose diameter. (if you cast 50-100 and they don't work then all the labor- gone). Compare those numbers to your rifle's groove and bore diameters. Then shoot them with a couple of different loads and see how it goes. Comparing the bullet fit to the accuracy may shed some light on what is going to work.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Super Moderator

..................I'd slug i first. No sense paying good money for a currently available mould only to find out later you need a 'Fat' one. I do not believe any currently available designs will drop a slug much over .285". In addition all the military 7x57's were chambered for a 172 - 175gr slug. I'm personally partial to Loverin designs (eliminates the stewing and fretting over if a bore rider with ride or not) for long throats/leades.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got the same problem, in that I need a fat boy.

atr - What's that 287405 cast at? I surely need a .288 or better.

Boolit Master

Loverin design

the 287405 is a Loverin design,,,Buckshot is right about how useful the design is for long throats !.....
    my 287405 casts consistantly at 0.2845 using wheel weights or Lyman #2 equivalent.
    again Buckshot is right ..you probably won't find a current maunfactured mold which will cast much larger than 0.285. But again that Loverin design seems to do the trick at 0.2845

for comparison the jackedt bullet on the right is a 175 gr. which is what the 1895 was originally designed for
    also, my 1895 was german made DWM and bore tolerances are tight at 0.286
    Last edited by atr; 11-15-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: more information

From Larry Gibson
    <<Many, if not most M95 7mms have groove diameters of .286 - .288 if the bores are in excellent condidtion. Mine is .286 and I find a heavier (150 gr+) Loverin style bullet that drops at .286+ will most often shoot well.>>

What do you use to size and lube your bullets? The largest sizing die from either Lyman or RCBS is .285

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried the lee soupcan in their chileno's? Does it cast big enough?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I've tried the Lee with fine results; the little 130 gr job. No sizing, gas checked, double tumble lubed, 18 gr of 2400. Drops for me at about .286, which is right what my Chileno measures at. I could probably do really well if I beagled it another thousandth or two.

I have also tried more oversized RCBS 168s. DIdn't do any better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    From Larry Gibson
    <<Many, if not most M95 7mms have groove diameters of .286 - .288 if the bores are in excellent condidtion. Mine is .286 and I find a heavier (150 gr+) Loverin style bullet that drops at .286+ will most often shoot well.>>

What do you use to size and lube your bullets? The largest sizing die from either Lyman or RCBS is .285
    My original RCBS mould drops them at .287+ with the right alloy (a good balance of antimony and tin with the lead; WWs + 2 % tin or linotype + 30% lead works good). I use a custom .288 H die I got from Buckshot to just crimp the GC and lube leving the bullets as cast. BTW they are seated long with the GC not below the case neck.

Larry Gibson

1895 Mauser
    Finally got all the stuff together to shoot my Chilino 1895 Mauser.

I purchased the NOE 287-150 Hunter because of the bullet diameters Al said it would cast at and it would only take a week to get the mould. The bullet cast .276 on the nose and .2865 on the bands. My RCBS sizing die sizes the bands .2853 or thereabouts. My scrap alloy probably casts different than what Al uses.

With the cold weather I just tried just 4 powders. Scott 3032-22 to 23.5 grs, IMR 4895-22 to 24 grs, IMR 4759-16.5 to 18 grs, and Benchmark- 20.5 to 22 grs. All in half grain increments. Benchmark shot the best at 21.5 and 22.0 grains. WLR primers, soft scrap alloy, gas checks from Blammer, R-P 06 reworked cases, my lube. No leading with any of the loads.

The target was shot at 100 yards with a heavy overcast and light mist and light winds at 8:30 in the morning. The rings on the target are ¾ inches apart (200 yard Schuetzen target)

The group consists of both the 21.5 and 22. gr. loads, seven shots each. I thought I moved the sight up one notch for the second load but maybe I didn’t (those sights leave a bit to be desired). It could also be a small change in elevation of the two loads. They printed almost on top of each other.

The shot to the left in group 2 was fired with a pick up in the light winds. Me or the wind I don’t know. The 20 and 20.5 loads were bigger than the pictured group.

I think Old Ugly did quite well. Does anyone need pictures of Old Ugly??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7mm Mauser4 001 (7).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	56071

Did good? that looks just GREAT to me. Just got a new mold for my '95. Can't wait to cast some up this afternoon. Can't speak for anyone else, but I would like you to post photos. i love seein' 'em.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    Did you need to neck turn the '06 brass when converting them? I have a ton of mil brass and thought about running them through a 7mm die to make some up.