RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: deer hunting with a 32/20

Boolit Buddy
    no energy requirements in Pa. any centerfire is legal for big game

Boolit Master
    I did terminal ballistics tests on my 10" Contender in the 32-20 caliber just to see what its and the boolit's (113 gr lee RNFP-GC) performance would be at 40 yards and an MV of 1400 fps. The boolits got 16 inches of penetration and perfect expansion in soaked phone books with an 1/8 inch of plywood veneer inserted 3" in. With the Speer 120 gr jacketed hollow point I got 9" of penetration using the same load. From that I concluded that the 32-20 is adequate for deer with a live weight up to 120# out to about 75 yards with proper shot placement. Since I hunt deer purely with my muzzleloader, this was an academic exercise but very enlightening.

Boolit Grand Master
    Penetration alone isn't going to do the job. You need velocity to increase wound size. You need a flat nose or expansion to create a large wound also.

Honk of the difference between shooting a deer with a broad head or a target point? Both may pass thru but which will kill cleaner?

Like 35 Remington said, if you are going to use a minimum cartridge then make sure you maximize the load.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, agree on the minimize and maximize! Just common sense!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm in full agreement with 1Shirt's post concerning the Magnumizing of the deer woods. At risk of carrying this discussion far afield from the OP's question, I would submit that the 30-30 WCF might be the most efficient venison harvesting caliber ever birthed. I hunt in varied country in CA, but to this day EVERY deer I've ever taken could have been felled with a 30-30. The caliber combines light recoil, flat enough trajectory for 90% of game shots, sufficient accuracy for its ranging capability, and an uncanny match of its impact velocity to the simple and affordable cup-and-core jacketed bullets most often loaded in this caliber.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Marlin 1894CL with 311008 & 31133HP at 1700 fps and have not had a problem with at least a dozen does by now, I just keep my shoots in the vitals at or under 50 yds. Most don't leave blood trails that a blind man could follow but all have not went very far and I had acouple drop at the shots with neck shots really close.

Oh, I was leant a 31133HP and cast a heap of boolits. They are brutal on small game at that velocity. Mine are in WW so probably a bit brittle for big animals.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I can't help but ask why? Why would you want to use a gun that so many consider marginal at best. Deer aren't big & tough skinned but why use something that may or may not do the job? Why not use a 30-30? or a 32/40 or a 32 Special or a 38/55? Those were the deer rifles of the late 1800s and the early 1900s. Pardon my ignorance - but it just don't make sense to me. Why take that chance?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by helice View Post
    I can't help but ask why? Why would you want to use a gun that so many consider marginal at best. Deer aren't big & tough skinned but why use something that may or may not do the job? Why not use a 30-30? or a 32/40 or a 32 Special or a 38/55? Those were the deer rifles of the late 1800s and the early 1900s. Pardon my ignorance - but it just don't make sense to me. Why take that chance?
    because i dont have those calibers

Because not all deer are equal. Big difference between a roe deer and an elk.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    because i dont have those calibers
    There ya go. Run what ya brung.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have a Marlin CL, I shot the RCBS 115gr SWC w/GC sized .313 over 10gr of 2400. I get 1.75" groups at 150 yards. I keep my shots to 100 yds on slow moving or stopped animals. The .32-20 leaves them dead as door nails. I wouldn't use it on elk but I'll kill Michigan whitetails all day long with it. The rifle is a joy to carry, recoil is nill and it works!
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master

bubba15301 I appreciate your determination and grit. If confidence in your equipment to do the job has any bearing, you just might be able to pull it off. From the posts I've read so far on this thread, I think we all agree that the .32-20 is capable of doing the job and now the rest is up to you. Whether its a 30-30, 30-06, or a .32-20, shot placement is the key. Ofcourse boolit energy is also important so keep those shots fairly short and I have no doubt you'll be eating vension after season is over. We want to see pictures when the time comes.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Here in the Land of Lincoln a center fire rifle is not yet legal for deer. But if it was having used a 32-20 for many years to pop ground hogs and other critters of that size I think I would use a 32-20 on a deer if that was what I had at the time and knew for sure I could place it through the ear or into the neck / spine area.
    My old Savage Sporter 32-20 is more than accurate for that shot at the river bottom ranges I hunt and plenty zippy with 125 GC grainers. Only real question for me would be whether said target was absolutely still and not going to move at the shot ?
    I happily am not dependent only on a 32-20 for whopping larger than ground hog sized critters. But that really means nothing here in the state of ILL that so lovingly looks out for us residents with such restrictive care.
    Mike in ILL
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Look how many whitetails are killed with bow and arrow. I would think that a 32/20 is a better killer than an arrow. Maybe I should take my S&W 1905 hunting this fall. Sure would beat lugging around a Model 70 Winchester.

Boolit Buddy

An arrow is a little bit different than a 32/20.I have driven an arrow through both shoulders of a large cow. 1 3/8 inch cutting diameter and they bleed out fast.You just have to have an arrow that is matched to your bow just like a proper bullet in a rifle

Bowfin, it sounds as if your State's fish and wildlife folks actually made a good decision based on logic and reason. Out here in WA, they (WDFW) are notorious for bad wildlife management decisions- all the time.

Boolit Master
    Paul,

I have been greatly pleased with some of the decisions made by our Game & Parks Commission over the last few years. They have sat down and asked, "What will get more people out fishing and hunting? What do they need?"

A good example: For me, finding a time to go hunting actually kept me from purchasing fall turkey permits. Now, the Game & Parks run the season from September 15th to January 31st!!! A guy out hunting anything should buy a permit and put it in his back pocket because he'll eventually get a chance at a turkey.

Boolit Buddy
    going to the gunshow next weekend to see if i can find some 115 grain cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    going to the gunshow next weekend to see if i can find some 115 grain cast bullets.
    Just be careful. Anything you find at a gun show has the potential to be hard cast and will not do what you want. IMHO you require a boolit that will mark very easily with your thumb nail. I would merrily send you some suitable boolits but from the bottom of the world it is likely costly for postage. Maybe a US caster can help out.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.