Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: deer hunting with a 32/20

Boolit Buddy

deer hunting with a 32/20

does anyone here use a 32/20 for deer hunting ? if so what bullet do you use?

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't use the 32/20 for deer hunting, though in its high-velocity form from a rifle it would be marginally adequate for the coast blacktails out this way. The caliber is legal for this use in CA, provided a softnose or expanding bullet is used. I would lean toward either a jacketed or cast softpoint of 115-120 grains in weight. I'm sure that a lot of deer have been harvested with this caliber, but equally sure that many have been wounded and lost due to marginal hits. Be sure of your shot placement, get as close as possible, and you'll have venison on Thanksgiving.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Deer certainly have been harvested with a 32-20 and even smaller calibers. in my opinion, there are much better choices. If you must, 311008 would be one with a nice sized meplat. You are limited with the type of rifle also. Big difference between a 1894CB Marlin and an original 1873 Winchester. Stick with published data, and limit your shots to "right on top of them"

Boolit Mold
    Bubba, Though I am sure deer have been shot with a .32-20 many times I will give you a first hand experience account. When I was ten years old my grandfather took me hunting in central Vermont where we lived and had me carry the old Marlin that was my grandmother's rifle. We sat in cover to eat lunch in a small apple orchard where we could see probably 75 yards. As we ate we could hear something slowly moving twards the apple trees. Eventually a deer stepped out in our sight and I could see it was a spike buck so I said"gramp it's a buck". His answer was "I don't know is it"? Finally he could see the 4" spikes and told me to shoot it. I forgot the practiced tension on the trigger so it would not click as I cocked the hammer in the excitement. The deer spooked and started running away from us. The old man gragged me by the seat of the pants and lifted me to a standing position and said "shoot now". When I sighted and fired the deer dropped like it had been poleaxed. I was shaking and the old man was so excited he talked out loud which he never did in the woods. We got to the deer and could see no sign of a wound and the deer was still breathing so he said to shoot it again at the lock of the jaw so I did. We got to looking for the first shot and finally found the bullet bedded at the base of the horn and not a drop of blood. The hunting gods had been looking out for me that day. Because of the poor penetration of that bullet I say it is not a deer caliber and should not be used any more than a .22 rimfire. Your opinion may differ and that's what makes the world go round. John

I would happily use mine on small deer the likes of fallows. Not on our reds however. I got in on the NOE group buy of the 314008 mould. It drops the top side of 120gr in 40-1 alloy and I think this would do well on small deer given the correct shot placement and limited range.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's quite an account, Olde Sarge!

The 32/20 in both standard velocity and high velocity form is a great varmint caliber. I have other calibers with greater power or larger caliber that get the call for deer hunting, though. I would risk the 32/20 on deer if it was the only rifle I had on hand, but others I do have are far better choices. Few better coyote calibers for the lever rifle have ever been birthed, AFAIC.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Paco Kelly's idea of a Big game" bullet for the 32/20 rifle..Probably can still find the article in the archives on his website,but I don't remember the title.. If found I would take 8-10 % off his top load until proved OK in you rifle... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    i am shooting an 1889 marlin

Boolit Grand Master
    bubba, if the gun is that old I'd definitely park it and use something else. You ought to be using only fairly mild loads in it, and mild loads are not what the deer need to kill them quickly.

Boolit Buddy
    i am loading 8 grainsof 2400 anda 95 grain bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Then you ought to pass on using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Marlin 32-20 and I have considered using it for deer. I just haven't found a load I find acceptable. Yet.

I want a 120 gr or so GC bullet wi a flat nose in the 1700 fps range or so. Need to make sure I hunt in a place where a 25 yard or so shot is likely and tracking is easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Then you ought to pass on using it.
    why should i pass deer arent bullet proof

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    why should i pass deer arent bullet proof
    Because you do not want to track your deer hundreds of yards on a blood trail that gets heavy when it lays down then ends at a road. It is irresponsible to the deer and to the rest of the hunters that would harvest the deer with an adequate calibre and have full use of the deer's meat, hide, etc. Trust me. You do not want to remember your first deer shot wondering if it lived or died but knowing you did not recover it. Been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN. As a wise man once said "Use enough gun."

Boolit Master
    I have used a bolt action 32-20 for rabbits and squirrels, my dad wouldnt let me use it for deer since I had a 25-06 and 308. I would consider HUNTING deer with a 32-20, get in close like you were bow hunting and punch one through the lungs. I would probably use either a cast hollow point or a WFN.

The quickest way to see if something will work is to tell someone it wont or cant.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    going to the gunshow next weekend to see if i can find some 115's

Boolit Grand Master

Ya know, it is very interesting today to see the meantality of some who just have to have a 300 Winny or better for deer. They have that Weatherby meantality, which quite frankly disgusts me!!!! They are the ones at the range who walk up to you and tell you that you shouldn't shoot cast. That cast will ruin your rifle!
    That a 30-30 is not adequate for deer, and for sure anything less than is inhumane. And then they shoot three to 5 rounds, into a 6-8" group (maybe), and then they are ready for deer season. I would rather see someone who is really a hunter take a deer with a 32-20, than to see some nimrod with a 300Winny(who is scared to death of it), gut shoot and loose a deer. If all I had was a 32-20, and it was deer season, would not hesitate to use it within range, probably not over 25 yds. Not that I have an opinion!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    i have used a .22 sav hipower for over 20 years . i guessthat istoo small also. it shoots a 70 grain bullet at 2850 fps. never saw the need for a magnun rifle for deer sized animals - destroys too much of the eating parts

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a contender 10" 32-20 that I've loaded hot 14 grns H110 and 110 grn gas check boolit that is close to 1700 FPS. I would put that on our small TX whitetail . I would not want to use much less of a load . I have never tried it but that load has turned some tx rabbits into red mist an fluff batting with soft nose boolit . Considered taking a deer with it but have always opted for more diameter or power. 7x30 , 41maggie , 44 mag , 45 colt , 454 , 308 , 30- 06 , deadest deer I ever shot though was with a 357 contender 125 grn PMC softpoint when I was 16 when the recoil came down I asked the kid with me where the deer was an he said its still there . 75 yrds frontal shot bang flop and found the bullet under the hide of the left hip .

Boolit Grand Master
    bubba, I'd rather see you run a 110 at near 2000 fps for deer rather than the 1400-1500 fps you're getting with your load. Maybe deer aren't bullet proof, but I'd rather tear a larger hole to drop them closer to where they were hit.

Your load won't make much of a hole. If you're going minimum, don't make it minimum minimum.

Make sure the 32-20 is allowed in your state for deer hunting. Some states have energy requirements. Nebraska, for example, says 900 ft/lbs. at 100 yards to be legal. A 32-20 will barely get that at the muzzle with hot loads, and has no chance at 100 yards to meet the requirement.

I can't see how a load that produces 450 ft/lbs. with a relatively small diameter bullet is all that adequate. I'd rather double that if I was hunting with a 32-20, and get a chance to make a bigger wound with an expanding bullet. An ancient Marlin doesn't seem to be a prime candidate for hotrod 32-20's, and the loads you are shooting are pretty meek.