RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just bought a beautiful Model 28.. Should I smooth the trigger or not?

Boolit Buddy

Just bought a beautiful Model 28.. Should I smooth the trigger or not?

I recently procured a 99%+ smith and wesson Model 28, 6 inch barrel. I have been afflicted with the S&W double action bug for some time now, and I am met with a dilemma. My other wheelguns (K frames) all have smooth as glass trigger faces, and I can't get used to the serrated trigger for DA work. Should I violate this gun and smooth it out?

NO! A smoth trigger will cost around $40.00. Buy one and Don't touch that trigger.

Boolit Master

It's your gun. Do what you want to with it.

You might find the serrated trigger isn't a big deal after you shoot it a while... I used to not like the, but now I do.

If you just put a smooth trigger in, the actual pull may change, usually not for the better.

Boolit Master
    I certainly wouldn't change anything until you've spent an hour or two shooting it. Hot day and the double-action pull might prove the serrations to be a desirable feature.
    If you do decide you don't like the serrations, definitely replace the hammer. Don't try to modify the original.
    Sorry for the redundancy.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I'm doing some research on replacements. The altered pull with a new trigger isn't too much of an issue, I give all my wheelguns action jobs anyhow.

Dan has a good idea, but you probably won't ever sell that gun. You could always buy a trigger then. I like smooth triggers and have smoothed mine that were too wide or had serrations.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't stand serrated triggers, but I couldn't bring myself to grind on mine . . . so I gave it a couple coats of clear enamel model paint to fill the serrations. When I sold the gun, the paint came off easily with acetone.

Boolit Buddy
    My main issue with it is how sandpapery it is. A well worn N frame has serrations, but they have been worked in a little bit. At the very least, I'll run some flitz on them and take the sandpaper factor off, while leaving the serrations intact. I'm never, ever, ever selling this. Its too beautiful. I'm just having trouble finding a spare trigger.

Boolit Master

I file/grind and polish all my Smith's triggers. I can't stand the serrated triggers on Smiths. Can't recall how many of them I have done.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Love Life
    Ultimately it is your choice. I have a few model 28 revolvers (best value out there IMO), and I leave the serrations alone. All I do is work the internals for a lighter/smoother pull.

Boolit Buddy
    In lieu of grinding on anything, I did what I had planned and polished up the serrations with some fine grit and a wheel, and I'm content until I run across a spare trigger, hopefully a wide target trigger (never had one).

I have several score Smith and Wesson DA sixguns of all vintages. The smooth trigger fad is only a decade or two old. I went through it and smoothed out some triggers and now regret doing so.

I have several Model 28s and they are all box stock and would highy recommend you keep yours that way also.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have several score Smith and Wesson DA sixguns of all vintages. The smooth trigger fad is only a decade or two old. I went through it and smoothed out some triggers and now regret doing so.

I have several Model 28s and they are all box stock and would highy recommend you keep yours that way also.

Actually the 102 year old .32 Smith I have has a smooth trigger.......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I like the idea Coffeecup had , paint the serrations untill it feels smooth and if you don't like it it can be returned to original . Of course it's your revolver , I polished the face of the wide trigger on my model twenty-nine . But then when I bought it in 1985 it was a pretty common revovler .

Looking for a new trigger that does what you want might work too . If yours is an old four or five screw gun it might be better to look for parts to add or modify .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I bought a separate and narrower trigger for my 17-2 and then I smoothed it out and it's just perfect. I plan to nitre-blue it eventually:

I don't like the serrated triggers at all because I often shoot DA, and even in SA I prefer it, but this way it's just a swap away from restoration. I was also lucky because it did not change the trigger pull on this which is excellent.

Boolit Man
    mas,
    you haven't missed anything not having used S&W's target trigger. supposedly they spread the pull over a larger area, feeling like a lighter trigger pull. maybe so, but they don't help double-action use; the trigger on my 586 is almost perfect...it's smooth. if you really feel the need, maybe william's gunsight operation still offers trigger shoes

imo, the mod 28 and 58 were the two best values in S&W's product line, everybody else knew that too, so much so, that in the early '70's, i bought a new mod 27 for less than a 28. and a 57 for less than the 58. go figure.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...

Le Loup Solitaire

Smooth trigger or not

Its an individual thing/preference. If you are comfortable and shoot better with either then that's what you stick with. To change from serrations to smooth you have to either change the trigger or fill and smooth the grooves with something that does so and that way it can be removed if you ever change your mind. Model 28's were also known as "The Highway Patrolman" and they are solid guns. They were made with 4 and 6 inch barrels, adjustable sights and mat flat finishes. They were the same as the 27's dimensionally, but the 27's came in a 8 3/8" barrel as well, had a target trigger and hammer and a fancier blue finish. And the price was higher. Of equally fine quality is the 57's and 58 in 41 Mag. The 58 had fixed sights; the 57 sported an adjustable one along with the target trigger and hammer. All were rock solid and of superior quality and finish. LLS