WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope on Milsurp?

Boolit Master

Scope on Milsurp?

I have several MilSurp rifles and would like to find one I can mount a scope on easily without doing any damage to the rifle. I am training a "special" 19 year old child to go deer hunting and he has trouble shooting with iron sights. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I might purchase a scope mount for a reasonable price for one of these?

Boolit Master
    The dutchman on here I believe makes an excellent scope mount for several rifles that replaces the rear sight base, you than use a long eye relief scope and can always change it back. It would help to know what type of rifle.
    jim

Boolit Grand Master

If the Dutchman doesn't make one for your rifle there are several commercial makers, S&K, B-square. There is also one available for the Mosin from Cheaper Than Dirt but it is alumnium and flexes a bit. There is another I have recently seen for the K98 with a NcStar 2X3 pistol scope.
    If you stated what rifle you may want a mount for it would help us to direct you.

Don't underestimate the strength of a good epoxy.

Heat releases the epoxy. Some epoxies take quite a bit of heat to break them down.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Locktite's Black Max works great for that. I stuck a scope mount on my Mossberg 44US that wasn't drilled. I'm very happy with the results.

DonMountain,

Another option might be the scout style scope mount that afixes to the rear iron sight mount in front of the action. They are easily attached by removing the rear leaf and can revert back to original without any damage to the weapon. No epoxy to damage the bluing of the rifle. No bolt handle or safety modifications would be needed as with a low scope mount on various sporterized rifles, (Mausers etc..). To gain bolt clearance many scopes are mounted high. This then becomes problematic with the stock comb being too low with the military stock being designed for "iron sites". (WWII K98 sniper rifles are designed that way so this is a matter of opinion.)

The down sides:
    1) The original rear site must be attached to the barrel of the rifle, in front of the action.

2) This type of system is that you are limited to purchasing a scout style scope because of the extended eye relief. Potential expense and limitations, etc.

Just thought it might be option to consider.

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 07-14-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    If the Dutchman doesn't make one for your rifle there are several commercial makers, S&K, B-square. There is also one available for the Mosin from Cheaper Than Dirt but it is alumnium and flexes a bit. There is another I have recently seen for the K98 with a NcStar 2X3 pistol scope.
    If you stated what rifle you may want a mount for it would help us to direct you.
    I know that was a real general question, but I have a bunch of MilSurps. Argentine 91 Mauser, No. 4 Mark 1 .303 British, No. I Mark 3 .303 British, 03-A3 Remington, Garand, 98 Mauser 8mm, 95 Mauser 7mm, SKS, 8x56R straight pull, 7.5 Swiss straight pull, etc.

Boolit Master
    DonMountain

Check out S&K mounts, they make one for a #4 that uses a conventional scope. The peep is removed and it goes between the ears and camps to the charging bridge. The mount is solid and you don't have to alter the rifle.

Dave

Of those you mentioned DM, the SKS would offer your student the least recoil plus be a bit more interesting to him as it's semi-auto. Lots of SKS mounts available that simply replace the dust cover. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/SKS_Scope_Mount
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Take of the rear sight base of the rifle you want to use and look at it. On my 91/30 mosin nagant, if you remove the leaf sight theres 3/8 inch (i think) dovetails just like a .22. Get some dovetail scope mounts and a cheap long eye relief from amazon and your set!

Ditto Bored1:
    Also you may like a red dot in a long eye relief setup. Easy to acquire sight picture.
    IMHO with anything under around 150 yards you’re better off with zero magnification. I’ve a standard eye relief 1x3 X scope I like. On 1X you can shoot with both eyes open for full field of view.

I was going to say "yes, do the No4!" but it's kinda hard to beat the logic of doing the SKS. It's not that I'm biased in any sort of way ....

Heck, I've seen some impressive results with an SKS with open sights and it's about the right size and being "special" is plenty reason to let him shoot a semi. I do prefer training beginners with a bolt action to emphasize deliberate shooting but what the heck, let him have fun and get into shooting. How are his eyes? Just wondering whether a scope is really needed. Nothing wrong with a scope - I would go that route too. I have noticed that some people can't see through a scope that I have adjusted to my eyes. Strange because I have good eyes and so do they.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    The down sides:
    1) The original rear site must be attached to the barrel of the rifle, in front of the action.

2) This type of system is that you are limited to purchasing a scout style scope because of the extended eye relief. Potential expense and limitations, etc.
    1 - the rear sight attached to the barrel is not a downside when discussing attachment of a LER scope.

2- pistol scopes such as the NcStar 2-7x32 with it's 8 to 10 inches of eye relief is also not a downside when compared to iron sights. The NcStar 2-7x32 can be had delivered under $50 in the U.S. That's not much expense nor is 7x really optically limited.

I recommend Darryl's mounts and S&K mounts. (Since I seem to be stalled on production). I do not recommend B-Square.

Dutch

1891 Argentine long rifle (now obsolete design)

Persian 98/29 8x57

Swedish Mauser m/1896

German Gewehr 1898 8x57

Boolit Master

Eyes not real good

My grandson does not have real good eyes, hence his difficulty of seeing iron sights. And he has an easier time seeing through a scope. We bought a scope for his 22 rifle and his shooting improved tremendously. And we thought of purchasing a scope for his Remington 870 slug barrel but he is having trouble with recoil when shooting slugs. He is 19 years old now and almost 6' tall, so he can handle a heavier gun. And he shoots better with my old miltary rifles, except for his trouble of getting a good sight picture through the crude sites. He does much better with my wife's Winchester 94 in .356 Win with a Leopuld 3-6 scope, even with the short barrel. And the recoil it presents. So I was looking for an easy way for him to use one of the heavier bolt action guns that he is more steady with and not so recoil prone. With lead boolits of course. And the SKS in 7.62x39 is marginal for a deer round shooting lead and all of the brass is lost in the woods. And I feel safer with him shooting a bolt gun. Although his 22 is a semiautomatique. So the bolt guns is where we want to go with a scope. I appreciate all of your responses so far. And the pictures of mounts. And the sources of mounts. Now I am digging through my collections and looking at what it would take to use one of the mounts pictured.

This is my favourite of Dutchman's collection.

I can see an advantage for someone with less than perfect vision due to the very forgiving eye relief. A long eye relief scope is sort of a must anyway but I do like a wide field of view. I'd suggest the No4 with it's readily available scope base mentioned. I'm very keen on not drilling and tapping a historic milsurp. The No4 has another trick - it's simple to fit a plastic or wood sporter buttstock. It's simple to make one!

Like this one (I got it like that).

Don't laugh at the butt plate - its for using the butt as a climbing tool in the slippery slopes. I added that. I didn't need the recoil pad with a moderator.

An off the shelf butt.

On the other hand, I find my other No4 with its original butt quite fine with a high scope. I rest my chin on the butt and it's very stable to aim.
    I didn't chop it! I got it just like that. It's mint.

That shock cord carry arrangement in the first pic is something folks need to look into. It leaves two hand free and if you happen to have elbow pain it's the answer!
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-17-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The mount for the #4 does put the scope up quite a ways so some type of cheek rest on the buttstock is good. there is a relatively inexpensive synthetic stock with a monte carlo available.
    I can highly recommend one of Dutchman's mounts. I bought one for my 1891 Arg and it is first class. Sounds like he is buried in work though.

Boolit Master
    I fitted a scope to my K31 using the Swiss Products `No Drill`mount,
    It just sldes on and is held by just one allen screw.

The mount is rock solid and has never worked loose.

A real quality piece of kit.

ukrifleman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tasco Scope & Mount 005.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Good to see this thread as I'm thinking of scoping a 1903A3. I like to avoid drilling and tapping the receiver and bending the bolt handle. Guess that leaves me with the scout scope setup. Thoughts on bases, rings, and the proper scope would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beefan View Post
    Good to see this thread as I'm thinking of scoping a 1903A3. I like to avoid drilling and tapping the receiver and bending the bolt handle. Guess that leaves me with the scout scope setup. Thoughts on bases, rings, and the proper scope would be appreciated.

Thanks
    There's nothing you can do with an 03A3. You can't put a long eye relief scope mount on it. There's no where to mount it!

Dutch

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Dutchman. Disregard the PM I just sent.