Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Power pistol in 8MM with CB?

Power pistol in 8MM with CB?

I (think) I remembered reading a load recipe for cast boolits in large cases like the .30-06, .308, 8x57 etc using Power Pistol. I've tried searching the forums for that data and came up empty. Maybe I imagined this?

I've been using the tried and true 10 grains of Red-Dot in my reduced CB loads. However I am just about out of Red-Dot. I do have 5 pounds of Power Pistol. After looking at a burn chart it's slower than all the other suggested loads in my '73 Lyman book for their 165 grain boolit.

Looking at the burn rates it looks like 13 or 14 grains would make a comparable load to the other selections listed in the book. It's a little bit slower than Unique.

I realize burn rate is only one parameter to consider. PP is also a flake powder that takes up lots of room compared to ball or extruded powders.

So what I have is that 5 pounds of Power Pistol. a pile of prepped 8x57 cases and 100 165 grain Boolits from a Lyman mold.

I also have a pound each of W231, IMR4895, IMR4227 and Varget.

Will my suggested load of Power Pistol work or am I setting up for a Kaboom?

Suggestions?

Thank you.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

I burn any fast pistol/ shotgun speed flake type powder i get cheap in 30-06 sized cases.I use 10g-12g as my standard plinker loads with all of them(red dot to herco etc......)

the 2nd cast bullet manual from Lyman(your 73 copy) loads more fast pistol powders in rifles than medium or slow powders.I never understood why they left out many good powder choices.The 1st manual from the late 1950's was about their best and loaded a wider range of powders.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 05-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    If I was to use Power Pistol in that situation, I'd use a tuft of fluffy poly pillow filler to keep the powder near the primer. Of course start low and work up. For a starting point you could use low end to middle of the road Unique data.

I wouldn't have any worries about a ka-boom with Power Pistol unless either a double charge or a lodged bore obstruction was in the equation.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Man
    two powders seem to reign with cast bullets in rifles, red dot and 2400. my ww2 era milsurps like 17.5 gr of 2400 with 160-200 gc designs for 1800 fps and 3-4" iron-sight accuracy @100 yds.
    budman

ignorance is fixable...