RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turret Press

Boolit Buddy

Turret Press

Hi all,
    Is turret press better than single press? If so, in what way? I found a used Redding T-7( I think) with good price but it requires total re-arrangement of my loading bench and may need to replace with a single press which, I've been using the past 15 years. Any input will be appreciated.

I have a Lyman T-Mag Turret Press and love it. I don't want to go full progressive and the turret makes life easier than a straight single stage not having to swap dies out.

The T-7 is the best turret out there IMHO, I'll probably buy one eventually.

Redding made two turret presses the earlier T-25 had 6 holes and the newer (and current production) T-7 with 7 holes.

Boolit Buddy

A turret press will allow you to set up any number of dies (up to it's limit) for more efficient reloading.
    I have an old Spartan "T" that I used for 308 for years. It was a time saver when I needed to reload for a service rifle match. Worked best for me when batch loading. If you are intending to load "Bench rest grade" ammo, keep in mind that the turret head will have some inherent flex.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

Boolit Master

IS A TURRET PRESS BETTER THAN A SINGLE STAGE? Depends upon your objective for loading ammo. If you want to load a little faster, the turret will help achieve this. If you want to load the most precise boolits, the single stage would be best. The single stage would most likely be the strongest, if you needed the strength.

I handload on two single stage presses. I have one turret press with the indexing removed. I have installed a universal decapping die and my Lee hardness tester in the turret press where they stay permanently. Make your choice of presses based on what you like. Many on this forum use progressive presses because they like them. I use single stage presses because thats what I like.

Larry

Boolit Master

From my experience, if you are just after blasting ammo, the turret press is handy and quick but for precision ammo, best to stay with a good solid single stage. Because of the vary nature it needs to function, that little bit of looseness allows a certain amount of "spring" to enter. Not much for sure but if you are into such things as sizing primer pocket depths and flash hole sizes that small amount of tilt is a factor.
    I keep one turret press set up for one pistol caliber that I shoot a lot and the total fussiness is not needed and it lets me make up a bunch of ammo quick but when I am loading 22-250 for grass rats out there at 400 to 500 yards I only use the single stage press.

Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Lifted from an article on Brownells web site about turret presses:

Redding

COL - Comparator 2.182 2.180 2.180 2.181 2.180
    Neck Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001
    Bullet Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001
    RCBS

COL - Comparator 2.190 2.190 2.190 2.190 2.189
    Neck Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.002 <0.001 <0.002
    Lee Precision

COL - Comparator 2.181 2.182 2.182 2.182 2.183
    Neck Run Out <0.002 <0.001 <0.002 <0.001 <0.002

Here is the link:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...rative_Part_II

Boolit Buddy
    If you cant tell im a huge fan of turret presses
    when set up right they can make reloading a breeze

Boolit Master
    I have a T-7, go for it, you won't regret it. With Hornady die lock rings on each die, just put 'em in and go. The only flaw I found is the long drop the decapped primer makes to the catch tube. This is only a problem if you prime off the press and leave the primer arm off. In that case I just wedged a piece of 1/4" dowel rod in the ram slot to keep them from hitting the floor.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    IS A TURRET PRESS BETTER THAN A SINGLE STAGE? Depends upon your objective for loading ammo. If you want to load a little faster, the turret will help achieve this. If you want to load the most precise boolits, the single stage would be best. The single stage would most likely be the strongest, if you needed the strength.

I handload on two single stage presses. I have one turret press with the indexing removed. I have installed a universal decapping die and my Lee hardness tester in the turret press where they stay permanently. Make your choice of presses based on what you like. Many on this forum use progressive presses because they like them. I use single stage presses because thats what I like.

Larry
    Larry, I do the same now. I have a Patmarlins Checkmaker and an RCBS APS primer as well. It makes for my quick 'go to' utility press. I only resorted to that after the arthritis in my left shoulder was getting aggravated by the back and forth of turning the turret. I bothered me not to be able use it as intended in the past, but now has a good place on the bench.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BoolitSchuuter View Post
    A turret press will allow you to set up any number of dies (up to it's limit) for more efficient reloading.
    I have an old Spartan "T" that I used for 308 for years. It was a time saver when I needed to reload for a service rifle match. Worked best for me when batch loading. If you are intending to load "Bench rest grade" ammo, keep in mind that the turret head will have some inherent flex.
    Wow! And I thought I was old!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    If I was going to add another non-progressive press to my bench it would be a T-7. I would like to have one to set up for stuff that I don't need to load with a progressive.

I normally use a rcbs single stage press. However, I picked up a lyman t mag press very cheap at a garage sale with a extra turret head. I really like it. I have my 45lc in one (for cowboy action shooting)with the lee factory size die, the lee .454 bullet sizer and my powder charger. In the other turren I have my 45acp setup. It has a small adjustable rod in the back to take care of any flex. It is only a little faster than a single stage press but way more convenent.

Boolit Master
    Just found this excellant video for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3R7P...92424423CB577C
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    I had a turret press, then I got a Forster co-ax. The turret was sold and I've yet to miss it.

One of these days I'll be adding a dillon 550, but to me the co-ax offers the speed of die changing, and the advantages of the co-ax alignmnment that a turret doesn't offer. The auto opening shell holder is kinda neat too.

Boolit Master
    Being a more of a progressive guy for over 25 years, I feel I have taken a step backwards - in some ways.

Do I like Turrets over SS?

Here ya go -

Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 05-17-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: add on

Boolit Master
    I got a lyman AA to give it a go but was not happy with the whole concept. I have a progressive for production and a SS for precision. I guess if you had lots of space you could have a few and just leave then set up..... for my situation I see no advantage
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    I had a turret press, then I got a Forster co-ax. The turret was sold and I've yet to miss it.

One of these days I'll be adding a dillon 550, but to me the co-ax offers the speed of die changing, and the advantages of the co-ax alignmnment that a turret doesn't offer. The auto opening shell holder is kinda neat too.
    Interesting, I just traded my Lyman turret for a Co-ax. I'm happy so far.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

A turret press is probably the most versatile press you can buy. Brand doesn't matter, whichever you prefer. But I also wouldn't be without a single stage press on my bench. I could get along nicely the rest of my reloading "life" with my Lee Classic turret and my old Pacific single stage press. Rarely do I use a progressive press. The turret press is certainly capable but I still prefer to reload bottleneck cartridges on the SS. YMMV..

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone!
    I'll go back and check it again. Now I have to figure out, where to put...

I just sold one of my 2 Lee Pro 1000 (bought used) and ordered a new Lee Classic Turret. I think I would prefer it to the progressive when loading my black powder rounds though I did it for a while on it. I love the Lee Pro 1000 though for loading pistol ammo other than the black powder stuff. I also have a Lee Hand Press and Lee Reloader press.