MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee push through sizers

Lee push through sizers

Are any of you using the Lee push through bullet sizers?
    What do you think of them?

Trying to start casting and have so many questions.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    They work great. Some boolit designs demand them, if you want to get them through straight. Long narrow boolits can bend in a Lyman or RCBS. They can also be easily honed to make them bigger if need be. Alox can be messy, but quite effective as a lube.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    I like them. Simple, works, and fits my limited budget.

Boolit Master

They cost less than the dies for the lube sizers out there, you push through base first, don't need a fitted stem, they will seat a gas check, they don't require bench space...they're great.

In Remembrance
    That's ALL I use for sizing rifle boolits. I use them to seat the gas checks and do the initial sizing, then run the boolits through the lubesizer with a dies .001 larger so that it is a "lube only" process.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    That's ALL I use for sizing rifle boolits. I use them to seat the gas checks and do the initial sizing, then run the boolits through the lubesizer with a dies .001 larger so that it is a "lube only" process.

+1

My only complaint is the die bodies are just a little short. I have to flip the die reducing bushing for my press upside down or don't use a lock ring.

take care,

r1kk1

I have them for every caliber i shoot and have them in custom sizes as well. They are great for all the reasons already mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    They cost less than the dies for the lube sizers out there, you push through base first, don't need a fitted stem, they will seat a gas check, they don't require bench space...they're great.
    Here is a quote from Lee's Web site :

Fastest and easiest way to lubricate and size cast bullets. Standard 7-8x14" threads fit any reloading press. Bullets are pushed through the sizing die nose first, so no special nose punches are needed.

The bullet enters nose 1st, not base 1st. The base of the bullet rest on the bullet push through rod supplied with the die as it enters the bullet sizing die.
    Last edited by Ben; 05-08-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Sounds like I was pointed in the right direction. Thanks for the input everyone.

Ben, in that quote, it says it also used to "lubricate", do they meen that it pushes the lube into the grooves and cleans off the lube on the bullet after "pan lubing" as it passes through the sizer?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I assume this is what is ment.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lunarphase :

Lee's quote on their web site of " Fastest and easiest way to lubricate and size cast bullets." is obviously making reference to their use of Lee Liquid alox on the cast bullet, allow it to dry and push it through their sizer die.

However, the Lee Sizing Die can be used like this :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I use my Lyman when I gas check, otherwise, I use the Lee. It is simple and easy to use. Lee makes some great products and most are just as good as the higher price brands.

Thanks Ben.
    Great info in that link.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Here is a quote from Lee's Web site :

Fastest and easiest way to lubricate and size cast bullets. Standard 7-8x14" threads fit any reloading press. Bullets are pushed through the sizing die nose first, so no special nose punches are needed.

The bullet enters nose 1st, not base 1st. The base of the bullet rest on the bullet push through rod supplied with the die as it enters the bullet sizing die.
    Yeah...that's what I thought I typed.

Boolit Master

Have several of the Lee sizers then went on and made my own set up but along the Lee lines. I like the concept. Have had a 45 for years but on occasion would notice what appeared that the bullet was sized slightly out of kilter or it had not entered the die perfectly centered. With this push through concept concentrically is no longer a issue. Every one is perfect. Sometimes with a very hard alloy, there might be a small amount of nose deformation especially if the nose punch was not a perfect fit and sometimes they are not. Pushing things through from the base eliminates this potential problem. This combined with pan lubing allows me to change lubes quickly, from small batch to small batch if needed. The small pressure required to push things through the die seems to seat gas checks nicely. Overall , the process of making loadable bullets might take a bit longer but then again you have no business making a speed run out of this process of loading ammunition.

Facta non verba

In Remembrance

If only you could buy the sizer and not have to buy the alox with it. I got hit with a hazardous shipping charge by Midway for the last LEE sizer because of the bottle of alox.Robert

You guys will save money on Lee Equipment as well as shipping costs at https://fsreloading.com I now buy exclusively through them and no order has taken more than 4 days to get to me. I still buy some things from Midway USA however not Lee equipment or parts.

Boolit Grand Master

I have four of them living in a Lee turet plate. I pan lube most of my bullets and size afterward. Some of my bullets are shot as cast and usually lubed with 45-45-10.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

That is why I do also.

Some years back one of our members made for us, a gizmo that held Lyman and RCBS size dies in a press so we could use them for push through sizing. Recently the Perfesser has made and sold another gizmo that does the same thing.

The Lee dies are great and I use them. But I also have the option of using my Lyman/RCBS dies as well. Lee dies are available in a limited number of sizes and my other dies are in many odd ball sizes.

Push through dies for long skinny rifle bullets are the only way to go.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    A couple of years ago. I got a heck of a deal on 1000 .224 62 grain FMJ slugs that had been deformed during the bullet pulling process. When I got them they were more deformed than I had been told. They were out of round and would not even enter the case. I bought the Lee 22 sizer and about 1000 pulls of the handle later I had sized and and ready to shoot bullets. The sizer handled the jacket slugs without any need for lube or any real problems. A cheap fix to a problem.

I have 4 of them. I think they're a great setup, easy to use, inexpensive, set em' up on a press with the bullet catcher, simple, plus they'll seat gas checks..... I just don't like liquid alox lube...