Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Rifle boolits & Lee Alox?

Super Moderator

Rifle boolits & Lee Alox?

How fast can you take them? Also, would I be wasting my time putting a soft lube (lithi-bee) in the grooves as well as LLA? I TL and use a push through sizer, and can hand lube after.

Thanks...Shooter

Boolit Grand Master

You might consider pan lubing with Javelina or 2500+ and then push them as fast as accuracy allows without worry.

Larry Gibson

Super Moderator

My problem (if it is a problem), is that I put alox on my boolits prior to using the push through sizer. I have used some of Dillon's alcohol/lanolin case lube to lube before sizing and this worked well. Then I just hand lubed with my home-made lube. This worked well, but I have a lot of alox coated boolits that I need to deal with.

Boolit Master

I have used 45/45/10 with rifle boolits but I usually keep the velocity under 2000fps.

Boolit Man
    shooteraz,

my milsurp loads of 150-200 gr gc castings chrono 1800 fps. i use liquid alox and as long as they're properly sized, no leading after hundreds of loads.

i shoot plain base liquid alox lubed castings in my revolvers/pistols at 1200+ fps without leading.

budman

ignorance is fixable...

I use nothing but LLA in all my cast bullet applications. Most of my .30-cal loads are in the 1700-1800 fps range. However, I have tried some .303 Brit loads up between 2200-2300 with no leading problems. As far as accuracy, my most accurate loads have been in the 1700-1800 fps range.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have used 45/45/10 with rifle boolits but I usually keep the velocity under 2000fps.
    I use a little different mix I leave out the 10% mineral spirits and just use 50/50 Alox/JPW. In my SKS and Mosin rifles I"ve shot the Lee .312 TL gas check bullets up to 1900+ fps with no issues. In my 30-30 170 gr. loads that have the standard grease grooves I ranch dip my bullets after gas checking.

Once dry the lube is similar to a semi-soft pan lube and compresses into the lube grooves nicely when ran back through the sizing die. I shoot those bullets at pretty much the same velocity as factory 170 J bullets. I don't always shoot my cast loads at those velocities but it nice to know I can if the need arises.

Last edited by res45; 05-22-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    For any reasonable velocity LLA is fine. I do find with VERY long barrels (my Vetterlis come to mind) it runs out about 6-8" from the muzzle, unless I dip and completely fill the grooves.

That said, I prefer lube sized bullets for rifle applications, the LLA for pistol, but either works fine in either case, just personal preference.

Ive always used home made lube, When I stuff them thru the sizer, I wipe some Alox on them to help it get stuff with ease thru the die.

Been shooting at 1750, and never had a lick of leading. So I figure, I must be doing something right.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I have tested 45/45/10 (original formula) all the way up to 2000FPS with no discernible leading, however the accuracy went to pot past that point. I do a secondary lube with FWFL and I can go all the way to 2400FPS with no problems.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have run LLA to 2300 fps in a 30-40 with good acuracy and minimal leading. , In the 30-30, I have gone to 2100 fps with excellent results using a 311-291.

To do so, use two or three coats, it needs to be fairly thick. Allow plenty of time to dry between coats.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.