Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x56R, whatta ya got?

Took the Stutzen to the farm today. Have a 12" gong at 237 yards per range finder. Took six shots to figure out windage than we rang it 3 out of 4 shots (Me, my 15 year old son and his good friend). The one miss was a real flyer so I don't know what the kid did there. That's good enough for me.
    332, 205 gr ww boolit, 13 gr red dot.

I do need to figure out a neck expander. I ruin 1 out of every 10 pieces of brass when the boolit doesn't slide in quite right.

Boolit Master
    My groove diameter is .331. I use a Lee C338-220-1R, first lubed with Carnuba Red and sized in an H&I .338 die. Then pushed through a Lee .329 die honed out to .3335, lubed with vaseline and gas checked.
    The dies: A Lee FL with an expander plug from a Lee 338 Winchester Magnum turned down to .332.
    I use a Lee universal case mouth expander.
    Then an RCBS 338 Ruger Compact Magnum seater die is used to allow the oversized boolit to pass.
    I made a Lee factory type rifle crimp die by using a Lee medium factory crimp die body, and Lee FCD collet for a 338 Winchester cut down to the right length. These parts available direct from Lee Precision. Here's some pics on how It's done http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111069
    I also use the Trail Boss formula from IMR.

The last time I checked Numrich and Sarco had the clips in stock. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=5932 page 6
    Last edited by wallenba; 01-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    hi, got my M95 out today and my one charger clip, but i have a question,,
    did the germans (nazi's) use these little rifles at some time or did the just make the clips for them?
    i ask because of the swastica/ eagle stamp on the back of it.. just curios... thx
    Last edited by adrians; 02-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

adrians: yes, the nazi's used these. The carbines were mostly security and rear guard issue. I have read where luftwaffe guard used the long rifle version. I had some clips that also had the nazi stamp.

Boolit Master
    I vote post #22 be made a sticky. It's all right there, I think I'll print it out. Good job.

Boolit Master
    Old Iron Sights thats interesting, with all the Mausers Germany manufactured over the years ( including carbines ect),, and were very proud of their rifles some chose to use M95's .
    i find that really interesting,
    thanks for the insight ,i'm going to "google" to find out more
    have a good week.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Working with my M95 has left me impressed with the design. It's a fast-cycling rifle that's quick and easy to reload. It is reasonable that some would prefer it to the Mauser turnbolt.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Me not you View Post
    Working with my M95 has left me impressed with the design. It's a fast-cycling rifle that's quick and easy to reload. It is reasonable that some would prefer it to the Mauser turnbolt.
    that makes sence

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    Old Iron Sights thats interesting, with all the Mausers Germany manufactured over the years ( including carbines ect),, and were very proud of their rifles some chose to use M95's .
    i find that really interesting,
    thanks for the insight ,i'm going to "google" to find out more
    have a good week.
    The Germans used whatever they could get their hands on. The Germans had a tremendous number personnel to arm, including military and paramilitary forces. Losses of arms and equipment in the field were huge. The battle of Stalingrad and the surrender of the Africa Corps are good examples of tens of thousands of rifles being lost, destroyed or captured.
    If a rifle went bang, it was a strong candidate for use occupational troops or other rear area troops, even if the design was obsolete.
    It really makes for a fascinating field of study.

Finally made some of "the loads" with 13 gr red dot. Can ring my gong pretty consistently at 225+ yards. Haven't tried them on paper yet. Tired of shooting little paper circles. still need to develop a hunting load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Iron Sights View Post
    Finally made some of "the loads" with 13 gr red dot. Can ring my gong pretty consistently at 225+ yards. Haven't tried them on paper yet. Tired of shooting little paper circles. still need to develop a hunting load.
    very impressive.
    i bought a 1lb of RD yesterday to try in my milsurps, first time with this powder.
    but i'm a wuss according to "her indoors" so i think 11 grns will be my starting point,, ole shoulder ya know

Still hardly any recoil with 13 grains.

I like to use reduced cast bullet loads for plinking, but has anyone worked with more powerful loads for hunting in the 8x56R?
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

I like to use reduced cast bullet loads for plinking, but has anyone worked with more powerful loads for hunting in the 8x56R?
    I tried some with h4895 powder but I was using an under sized 329 boolit and the results were horrible. I have a 332 boolit now but haven't had time to try working up a load.

For those who worked with the LEE .338 cast bullet, sizing it down etc; how well did it work out?
    Thomas Paine:

Boolit Master
    For those who worked with the LEE .338 cast bullet, sizing it down etc; how well did it work out?
    I got lucky, and mine is very concentric. I've tried it with other boolits though, and got pretty poor results. Just one of those 'ya gotta try it' deals.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Does it shoot well?
    What load, what kind of groups?
    Thomas Paine:

Boolit Master
    Does it shoot well?
    What load, what kind of groups?
    Nothing to brag about, but I am on paper now. Last outing it as 5-6'' groups at fifty yards. That was the BEST group. Lots of room for improvement.
    It's 14.5 grs. of Trail Boss O.A.L. 2.866''.
    I just got an S&K Weaver type Scout scope mount. I hope to do a lot better once I find a LER scope for it. Don't want to spend a lot on it.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Man
    dschuttig,
    you got me! my lee 8x56r casts .330", but i beagled it to throw larger...i'm ordering their .338 design which i'll size to .332".

the 8x56r lee sized to .324 for my 8x57 shoots very well in my turk.

budman

ignorance if fixable...

Boolit Grand Master

You guys apparently haven't seen the Group Buy thread on the Oldfeller Frankenstein. It is the boolit for these rifles. If I knew how to post a link I would.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!