Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It worked first try!!!

Boolit Master

It worked first try!!!

Luck coupled with a plethora of good information here led me to success the first time trying this rifle out. Ishapore rifle, Hornady match case fire formed and neck sized and M die, Winchester large rifle primer, 168g gas check tumble lube boolit cast from straight wheel weights and stuffed over 10g of unique.

I fired 50 rounds and there was ZERO leading. Some right nasty black filth that took a dozen patches to remove, but nary a trace of lead. Accuracy was impressive [to me]. I shot clay targets out to 100 yards with no effort. Shot this group with the last three rounds I had loaded. I wanted to see if fouling hurt accuracy. Shot at 50 yards with a pretty bad astigmatism.

Now that is great, just great. It makes me happy to see success first time out of the chute.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Great results! I think you did it just right, reading and checking and got good results.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I picked a 1965 Ishapore .308 up this spring with bayonet for a couple hundred dollars and I have had the same experience...........150gr. Lee gas check, 50/50 lube and was getting inch and a half or less at 50 yards with 10 gr. Unique.........I too was shooting clay pigeons at a hundred yards but had to hold about 3 inches to the right as windage adjustment is moving the front sight over that is protected by both front sight ears a bunnie is in trouble at a hundred yards with this rifle.......these are great cast bullet plinkers for less then a used 22rf!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm just tickled at how easy to shoot this is. The gun is quite heavy and the load so light, it's really a genuine pleasure to shoot. Out in the open, it doesn't even hurt your ears, though I wear muffs anyway. Recoil is almost a joke. I actually had a guy at the range come up to see what I was laughing about. I let him shoot a couple and he was chuckling too!

Boolit Grand Master
    Ya' done good, Deano!!

Nice work and a great group,the value of info on this site makes putting a plan together so much easier. Putting together cheap accurate ammo is a plus as well.
    Last edited by res45; 12-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's great! Good going.

Boolit Grand Master

This is an example of why I call 10 gr of Unique one fo the "magic loads".

Works extremely well in .44 mag, .45 Colt in a BH, and any of the 1890-1950s big
    bottlenecked milsurps with any boolit. Some folks find that 11, or 12 or so works a
    bit better, but 10 gr of Unique is rarely a mistake.

Bill

Boolit Man
    dean,

the hook has been set and you're being reeled in...good for you.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Boolit Buddy
    Enlighten a dumb PA Dutchman but what is an Ishapore? Yeah I know it is a rifle of some kind but what country, etc?

T-o-m

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    Enlighten a dumb PA Dutchman but what is an Ishapore? Yeah I know it is a rifle of some kind but what country, etc?

T-o-m
    Ishapore-India. Usually means Ishapore 2A, rebarreled to 308 win.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    You hit it right out of the park on the first "pitch"???

GOOD for you!!!

Three 44s

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    Ishapore-India. Usually means Ishapore 2A, rebarreled to 308 win.
    The rifles are usually stamped "RFI", meaning "Rifle Factory, Ishapore".

Th 2A rifle is essentially a #1 Mklll Lee Enfield with some modifications (different steel, etc.).

The rifles were originally built in 7.62x51 NATO. not "rebarreled to .308 Winchester". Ishapore built #1Mklll rifles in .303 for many years as well as the .303 BREN LMG. They rebuilt quite a few #4 Rifles, and later also manufactured the Indian version of the FN-FAL rifle.
    Last edited by BruceB; 01-19-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, Bruce beat me to it. The Ishapore 7.62 NATO rifles are significant redesigns of the
    basic Enfield for the NATO cartridge. Rimmed vs rimless, and higher pressures. Not just
    a rebarrel job. Ishapore is the arsenal in India where the guns were made.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I'm sorry about that Goat Keeper, I thought that was pretty much universally understood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    You hit it right out of the park on the first "pitch"???

GOOD for you!!!

Three 44s

Yeah, funny thing I did: I was so surprised after trying [horrific failures] cast rifle boolits with other rifles, that I went back a few days later and cleaned this rifle again. Convinced I missed something. Fifty rounds and no bore brush needed. I've got the brass loaded again, and I'm off this weekend to do it again.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The rifles are usually stamped "RFI", meaning "Rifle Factory, Ishapore".

Th 2A rifle is essentially a #1 Mklll Lee Enfield with some modifications (different steel, etc.).

The rifles were originally built in .62x51 NATO. not "rebarreled to .308 Winchester". Ishapore built #1Mklll rifles in .303 for many years as well as the .303 BREN LMG. They rebuilt quite a few #4 Rifles, and later also manufactured the Indian version of the FN-FAL rifle.
    I stand corrected.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    Okay, quick question:

I've moved up from 10g to 11g. Accuracy is the same, still no leading. I plan to bump up to 12g but I wonder if I shouldn't just stop now?? Do you keep going until accuracy or leading problems occur or just leave well enough alone? The rifle is a single purpose rifle. It's sole role to play in life is hunting clay targets that lie scattered around the gun range. I only started the whole project so that I could shoot the rifle for less than 8 cents per shot. I made that condition easy. It's just a toy that I really enjoy shooting. I don't know if there's much to be gained by pushing further, do you?

Just curious where some of you guys stop and call it 'job completed'.

If your just shooting paper the faster speed is a non issue, Although your accuracy may get better if you go higher? It may get worse too only way to find out is to try . In my 03A3 11 gr and 14 grs were the two sweet spots for me with several different bullets. The only reason I went to 14 grs was for the higher vel. as I shoot out to 200 yds.Load up 10 rds for each 1 gr step and shoot them at 100 yds and see how it goes.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!