WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Childsplay! 400 yards and milkjugs is pistol fodder.

........sayeth "The Ringer." If we ever pick teams for long range pistol shooting I call "dibbs" on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda helps when you have the knowledge & tools to design, test, & perfect the optimum long range, slow velocity "sleeper" pistol boolit, eh?
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've got one that I'd like to hunt with, but old eyes make it a problem. Where did you get the scope mount for your rifle and what power scope were you using to shoot jugs at 400?

Thanks!
    This was why I was so glad to find the Ruger M77 MKII. Excellent scope mounts and a modern Mauser action that can handle European and hot-rod handloads.

Look around, they are out there, and most folks don't know what they are looking at.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Were talking about the 6.5x55 aka 6.5 Swede. An entirely different rifle capable of match grade accuracy as it came from the arsenal......... providing you feed it right and can shoot.
    Did you completely read the O.P???

I have no gripe with the 6.5x55.

Boolit Master
    O.P. (Part of)

Someone said with all the weird junk I have I needed to get a Carcano but the ones I have looked at seem to be junk and they want new gun prices for them.

DITO on just forget a Carcano. Best to forget they ever existed. Just my opinion. Life is short.

I spent all day today mounting optics on my 22's in an attempt to get targets shot for Bullshops 22 caliber postal match.

I’ve got this new 9.8 pound AR in 223 Rem SAMI . In addition to the Weaver 1x3V in high rings I’ve a clip on front and rear A2 iron sight. I’m 55 and it was just last Christmas where I could not sight my revolver. My feeling of invincibility to the aging process is slowly dissolving.

Received my new card from the Effingham County Sportsman’s Club here in Illinois. It’s an hour drive but they have a 500 yard range. If can’t hit a milk jug at 500 yards with an iron sight heavy AR off a bench I’ll be very disappointed. I’m talking no wind. Even if I can’t see anymore I think I’ll still shoot the NRA HP Rifle matches there at Effingham. After spending half this winter moving 20k pounds of steel a night I have a nice steady hold in the offhand position. Then I don’t have to win to have a good time anyway. Just need to get out and do it to feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    O.P. (Part of)

Someone said with all the weird junk I have I needed to get a Carcano but the ones I have looked at seem to be junk and they want new gun prices for them.
    They bring a high price because JFK was murdered with one. It's a sick collector thing IMO. I’ll bet Michael Jackson has one. For a person who appreciates a nice gun they are junk. As I said . Life is short.

If you own one that shoots OK then don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

For those of you who have deteriorating vision, get your eyes checked! I thought I was doomed to failing sight and eventual loss of driving and shooting until I had lens implants done last September, I wrote it up in Special Projects for those of you who are interested in getting lens implants to renew vision. It cost about as much as a pretty good used car and some insurance will pay for it. You don't have to face old age being blind, I had cataracts and getting them fixed was just 45 minutes on the operating table for each eye. Now I can see the milk jug again to hit it at 250 yards every time with my 7.5x54 French MAS 36 bolt gun using just its stock peep sights!

rl972
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned a Swedish M-96, an M-96/38, and a M-38, but sold them off. If you want a well built 6.5X55mm carbine that is easy to scope, has an AWESOME trigger, and useable iron sights, get a CZ-550FS. This is the mannlicher stock carbine version of the rifle.

No, its not a surplus rifle, but it is sweet. I have yet to wring it out, but will keep the group posted.

Boolit Buddy
    Swede brass is way less the the 7.5 swiss recoil is less and I think or know they shoot better.
    besides I like my bolt to go up ind down not back and forth

Boolit Master
    There are no .35s on your 'have' list. Casters dream, lots of choices, .35 Remington, Whelen, .357 Mag. etc. Talk about versatility. Keep you busy long time.

Bruce, you're sounding like the guys at my range (1000yds), with their 300 Win Mag hand cannons. Yes, they shoot them out to 1000. Me I'm happy with 100yd groups and a little practice at 200 for the Vintage Match.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Nothing particularly wrong with the Carcano for it's intended purpose, but in the context of plinking and cast bullets particularly there are better choices. My biggest complaint with Carcanos is that so many were sporterized (and poorly so) that originals are hard to come by. Breaks my heart to see a near-mint Finn-Marked M38 with half the stock cut off.

If I were limited to just one, I'd go Swede. Very few rifles are built as well as a Swede M96 and that includes modern $1000 + so-called custom sporting rifles. Buy the best you can get and get the best bore you can find.

6.5x55 is an exceptionally capable cartridge. Any significant improvement in 6.5mm cartridges from the Swede will cost you dearly in barrel life, recoil, and/or component cost.

For people who like a 6.5mm bore. Savage is chambering both the 260 Rem and 6.5mm Creedmoor this spring. All short actions although the 260 really needs to be in a long action to fit the heavy VLD bullets. But of course everyone would wonder why not just run a 6.5mm Swede if you have a long action.

Quote Originally Posted by MilSurpFan View Post
    6.5x55 is an exceptionally capable cartridge. Any significant improvement in 6.5mm cartridges from the Swede will cost you dearly in barrel life, recoil, and/or component cost.
    Read a couple of articles this winter. Several of the long range shooters are ditching the 6.5 x 284 in favor of keeping the original 7mm bore of the 284 win in order to get more life from the barrels. Those are hard recoiling even in a heavy F class gun. I’d rather shoot a 6.5mm at modest speed. For hunting I’ll stick with my old 270 WIN since I’m attached to that old rifle. But it must have twice the kick of a 6.5 Sweed. That or the one Swede I ever shot had light loads.

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    You are right! My new keyboard makes it easy too, even with my 4 5/8" handguns. I think my keyboard does the same things for sight radius, and the shortcomings of most revolvers as a scope does for a rifle.
    Except my keyboard has witnesses that include at least 4 longstanding, well respected board members here. So now, instead of just calling me a liar, you can include all of them as well.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    You are right! My new keyboard makes it easy too, even with my 4 5/8" handguns. I think my keyboard does the same things for sight radius, and the shortcomings of most revolvers as a scope does for a rifle.
    It's too bad you have this kind of attitude that you have to have to call someone a liar (in a round about way). There are quite a few people on this forum who can do this (some of us can do it with iron sights)............. it's not that hard provided you do your homework and have some skill in the use of a shortgun.

Boolit Master

One thing I will say about the 6.5x55 swede is when it comes up or you bring one out to play, it almost always results in the end product that we are once again witnessing in this thread.

I say buy a 6.5x55 of whatever flavor you like and keep it all to yourself and never talk to anyone about it, just enjoy how it shoots. I like mine but I am keeping my mouth shut.

Otherwise we get into name calling and rebuttals and what not.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 03-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Beekeeper
    manleyjt,
    I believe you about keeping shut about it.Didn't realize I would start a malstorm by asking the question.
    Haven't seen a swede yet but saw a Swiss and it is a heavy sucker.
    Will keep looking for a swede and eventually find what I am looking for.
    The Carcano came up at a shop where some one was touting how good his was and I thought about it .
    I know JeffNZ uses one and does quite well from the pics he sends.

Mr moderator if this gets out of hand please lock it down!
    I had no desire to start a fist fight.

Jim

Moderator Emeritus

Jim, you asked a very valid question. I hope our members respond in the gracious and helpful manner that so exemplifies our Cast Boolits community.

FWIW, my wife Tammy loves her 6.5 Swede. We just got it for her this past summer. She loves shooting it and we are in the process of working up handloads for it. If we can only get some decent weather to get some range time!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson