RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Beekeeper

6.5x55

I want to make one more gun purchase (With part of my tax return, SWMBO already has her eye on it)
    Am leaning toward a 6.5x55 swede but am open to suggestions.
    I like the Mauser actions and would like to stay in that arena.

Someone said with all the weird junk I have I needed to get a Carcano but the ones I have looked at seem to be junk and they want new gun prices for them.

Anyone have any suggestions.
    The 6.5x55 is not cut in stone so open to all.
    I have the following,
    Have 7x57
    8x57
    30/30
    30-06
    and some 91/30 mosins
    8x56 Steyr
    45/70
    and a couple of BP so kinda wanted to go to the smaller boolits but again not cut in stone so open to all suggestions ( Well almost)

Jim

Boolit Master
    My suggestion is to get a Swede.

Moderator Emeritus
    Either the Swede or a Swiss 1911 or K-31. With the Swiss, you might be able to use your existing .308 molds. They are all very nice...

John

Boolit Master

The inherent accuracy and downrange ballistics of the 6.5x55 will never disappoint you. It's my favorite caliber but I'm biased.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I would go with the Swede or one of the smaller .25's. 257 Roberts or 250 Savage. Lots of fun, minimal recoil, put good holes in paper and if you want to kill a medium sized animal they do a very good job of that.

I'd also go with a Swede or a Swiss K31. Remember with the Swede you will be limited to lower velocities of around 1600 fps because of the rather fast rate of twist they have to stabilize 160 grain bullets. I can get about 2100-2200 fps with my Swedes and you can, too, (anyone who wants to know just PM me and I'll fill you in, it isn't that hard, really), but it is more difficult than just putting a full case of WC860 and a cast boolit in and then pulling the trigger like the Swiss or Mosin-Nagant are. If you like a challenge then get the Swede, you will love it, and with jacketed ammo they are a superb rifle! The Swiss with it pull action is also an unusual item to have in your "stable". Too bad you can't get both, you should really have them!

rl965
    Last edited by Linstrum; 02-23-2011 at 04:44 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish all of lifes questions were this easy - The "Swedeheart".... and prepare yourself to fall madly in love.

Mike
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

Boolit Master

My first HP rifle was a 6.5 Swede carbine. 50 years later, I was lucky enough to find a Ruger M77 MKII in 6.5X55.
    The 6.5 will do more than you think it will, pleasant to shoot, and a tack driver.
    If I had to choose one caliber to shoot forever, it would be the 6.5X55.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

The 6.5x55 Swede is probably my favorite too. I shoot a sporterized M-38, a model 70 featherweight and a beautiful model 1912 Norwegian Krag. It never disappoints me.

Bob

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    The 6.5 Swede is fine, but lacks hit definition at long range. I would suggest a Swiss K-11, the short rifle version with the winged front sight. It is a wonderfull cast shooter.........Extreme accuracy is quite possible and they handle very well also.

Boolit Master
    I love my M96.

Just bought a K31, nice too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    The 6.5 Swede is fine, but lacks hit definition at long range.
    Please explain?
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Please explain?
    Shoot the thing at past 400 yards and you can't tell if it hit the water filled milk jug, a dry dirt bank or much of anything else. It will just poke a hole in them without disturbing much. No target reaction except on a good quality steel gong that will ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shoot the thing at past 400 yards and you can't tell if it hit the water filled milk jug,.....
    I've got one that I'd like to hunt with, but old eyes make it a problem. Where did you get the scope mount for your rifle and what power scope were you using to shoot jugs at 400?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've got one that I'd like to hunt with, but old eyes make it a problem. Where did you get the scope mount for your rifle and what power scope were you using to shoot jugs at 400?

Thanks!
    I don't scope militaries that are arsenal condition.......... In fact I don't have any scopes on any of my original military rifles. A white milk jug can be seen at 600 yards over the military irons provided you have decent eyes. If you want a scope mount, contact Dutchman here on the forum as he has made them to replace the rear tangent sight and they would require a long eye relief pistol scope. There are other guys who make the same or you might check out B-Square also. a four power is adequate for what you want, but don't go under three as finding something small in the field of view will be tough.

Boolit Grand Master
    ..... A white milk jug can be seen at 600 yards over the military irons provided you have decent eyes.....
    Man, I wish I had YOUR eyes! That's incredible! And hitting a jug at 400 yards with iron sights?........THAT"S some SHOOTIN'!!

Boolit Master
    My wife inherited a Carcano, IMO They are JUNK! Odd but JUNK!
    The safety is a real pain to operate, the action seems smooth until you add ammo, if you want to mount a scope it will be an bubba style side mount. One might be able to make a scout mount that would do better.

You will most likely want to change the barrel, but both the 6.5 and 7.35 use nonstandard bore sizes and re-barreling will cost more than the rifle is worth.

The only good news is http://www.grafs.com/ has reloading components and dies and they should be good with boolits if the bore isn't too terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    My wife inherited a Carcano, IMO They are JUNK! Odd but JUNK!
    The safety is a real pain to operate, the action seems smooth until you add ammo, if you want to mount a scope it will be an bubba style side mount. One might be able to make a scout mount that would do better.

You will most likely want to change the barrel, but both the 6.5 and 7.35 use nonstandard bore sizes and re-barreling will cost more than the rifle is worth.

The only good news is http://www.grafs.com/ has reloading components and dies and they should be good with boolits if the bore isn't too terrible.
    Were talking about the 6.5x55 aka 6.5 Swede. An entirely different rifle capable of match grade accuracy as it came from the arsenal......... providing you feed it right and can shoot.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 02-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Man, I wish I had YOUR eyes! That's incredible! And hitting a jug at 400 yards with iron sights?........THAT"S some SHOOTIN'!!
    I too wish I had them AGAIN............. as one gets older sight definition and targeting ability decrease. As long as its not in a shadow i'm still pretty good, but not up to where I was 30 years ago. I know quite a few people who can do that, but most think they have to have a scope to hit anything past their toes.

Childsplay! 400 yards and milkjugs is pistol fodder.